Re: [redhat] Off Topic question

  • deepak malik
    Message 1 of 20 , May 8, 2009
      Hi Dan- you can use *FireBurner*
      <http://www.fireburner.com/>,*Mp3Cd*<http://www.yty.net/h/mp3cd/>
      and cdrecorder.

      Thanks :)

      On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Dan <hyattdj@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      > I know a few things, but not how to rip CD audio files to MP3.
      > Also, if my car has an MP3 player, do I put MP3s on the CD and into the
      > CD player?
      >
      > Currently my primary CD/DVD burner is on my laptop which runs winblows XP
      > What free / pay software would you recommed to rip audio files, or audio
      > CDs to mp3's?
      > On RedHat linux? On winblows?
      >
      > Is there any good write ups that will bring me up to speed on it...time
      > to come into the 21st century on audio....
      >
      > When I went to google I got a bunch of websites that claim to have the
      > best ripping software.
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Dan

    • Thad Floryan
      Message 2 of 20 , May 9, 2009
        --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Dan <hyattdj@...> wrote:

        > Care to point out the FM......
        > I am a UNIX Admin....not an audiophile.
        > My music is still CDs...I started with Vinyl and 8 track tapes......as a
        > young lad...a
        > and graduated to cassettes then CDS

        Sure. Since the player is in your car, I would expect the instructions
        how to use it would be in, perhaps, the glovebox in the owner's manual.

        You wrote "Also, if my car has an MP3 player, do I put MP3s on the CD
        and into the CD player?" which isn't clear. Does your car have an MP3
        player or does it have a CD player (or both)? Modern cars have all
        sorts of Audio/Visual jacks, connections (even Bluetooth) and displays
        so the only way to answer your question is RTFM.

        In a general sense, MP3s written to a data CD can be played in a
        featureful CD/DVD player, but in the absence of a brand and model
        number there's no way for anyone to know your car's player's (or
        players') feature set(s).
      • Thad Floryan
        Message 3 of 20 , May 9, 2009
          --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Lane <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:

          > On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 12:11, Dan <hyattdj@...> wrote:
          >
          > >> Godwin tends to write EXCELLENT howtos (at least IMHO).
          >

          > > It was exactly what I was looking for. The perfect mix between cookbook
          > > and explanation.
          > > And some of his other links are sweet too.
          >
          > Godwin indeed writes excellent howtos. So maybe Thad should have
          > said RTGM (Read the Godwin manual) ;-)

          I did (in my reply) though I didn't directly attribute it to Godwin,
          just the URL to Godwin's article.
        • Thad Floryan
          Message 4 of 20 , May 9, 2009
            --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

            > > Godwin indeed writes excellent howtos. So maybe Thad should have
            > > said RTGM (Read the Godwin manual) ;-)
            >
            > Hopefully, Thad will make a note of that.

            My original reply to Dan had this (at the end):

            " [...]
            " These come highly recommended (all distros):
            "
            " RipperX -- http://sourceforge.net/projects/ripperx/
            "
            " cdparanoia
            "
            " http://linux.sgms-centre.com/nokiafaq/cd_rip_to_mp3/
            "
            " > On winblows?
            "
            " Free versions of Nero that come with CD+DVD drives work fine. The
            " ones you found with a Google probably work fine, too.

            I take it noone bothered reading it?
            Message 5 of 20 , May 9, 2009
              On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 09:50:23PM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
              > --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

              > > > Godwin indeed writes excellent howtos. So maybe Thad should have
              > > > said RTGM (Read the Godwin manual) ;-)
              > >
              > > Hopefully, Thad will make a note of that.
              >
              > My original reply to Dan had this (at the end):
              >
              > " [...]
              > " These come highly recommended (all distros):
              > "
              > " RipperX -- http://sourceforge.net/projects/ripperx/
              > "
              > " cdparanoia
              > "
              > " http://linux.sgms-centre.com/nokiafaq/cd_rip_to_mp3/
              > "
              > " > On winblows?
              > "
              > " Free versions of Nero that come with CD+DVD drives work fine. The
              > " ones you found with a Google probably work fine, too.
              >
              > I take it noone bothered reading it?

              LOLOL. You know most of us don't read all words in a sentence. So, I
              suspect we all saw cdparanoia and didn't connect it to sgms.

              Isn't there some rule about taking the name of Godwin in vain--oh, no,
              different God, sorry. (Hopefully, no religious people are offended by
              that.)

              Sigh, I have to tell him to read this thread.

              Yes Thad, you're right and Jeff and I are wrong, but we're newbies, so
              you have to explicitly say Godwin there. :)

              Whimsically yours.....

              Faith: When I'm fighting, it's like the whole world goes
              away. I only know one thing: that I'm gonna win, and they're gonna
              lose. I like that feeling.
              Buffy: Well sure, beats that 'dead' feeling you get when they win
              and you lose.
            • gmsm@indiatimes.com
              Message 6 of 20 , May 11, 2009
                Hi all,      This is my first e-mail to this group. But I was a silent member for a long time  & learning things.  I need your help here related to system calls  in linux. I am looking something (system call or reading /proc file system or may be something else)  to find out number of files opened by a process from inside the process itself.  Can someone knowledgable in this area, help me ? Thanks in adavnce =Gaurav

                --
                Exclusive spy camera shots of the Tata Nano only on ZigWheels.com
                http://www.zigwheels.com/tata-nano/

              • abdo elrahman hegazy
                Message 7 of 20 , May 12, 2009
                  I think using ps Command then getting the PID and then getting in the /proc
                  you can know all number of files opened by this prcess as you will find a
                  directory with this PID and this directry will contain al files opened by
                  this Proces.

                  On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 9:06 AM, <gmsm@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all, This is my first e-mail to this group. But I was a silent
                  > member for a long time & learning things. I need your help here related to
                  > system calls in linux. I am looking something (system call or reading /proc
                  > file system or may be something else) to find out number of files opened by
                  > a process from inside the process itself. Can someone knowledgable in this
                  > area, help me ? Thanks in adavnce =Gaurav
                  >
                  > --
                  > Exclusive spy camera shots of the Tata Nano only on ZigWheels.com
                  > http://www.zigwheels.com/tata-nano/

                  Regards,
                  Abdel Rahman Farag Hegazy

                  Never Break 4 Things in Your Life :TRUST - PROMISE - RELATION & HEART, when
                  they break,they don't make noise but a lot of PAIN .

                • Thad Floryan
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 12, 2009
                    --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, gmsm@... wrote:

                    > Hi all,    This is my first e-mail to this group. But I was a
                    > silent member for a long time  & learning things.  I need your help
                    > here related to system calls  in linux. I am looking something
                    > (system call or reading /proc file system or may be something else)
                    > Â to find out number of files opened by a process from inside the
                    > process itself. Â Can someone knowledgable in this area, help me
                    > ? Thanks in adavnce =GauravÂ

                    You might want to start with this:

                    <http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl8_lsof.htm>

                    BTW, what are the "Â" doing in your message?
                  • gmsm@indiatimes.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 12, 2009
                      My intention was to use space .... No idea how it became A
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 13, 2009
                        ## Number of process opened by user "oracle "

                        lsof -u oracle | wc -l

                        N please go thru the provided link to know more about "lsof"

                        - Dominic

                        Own a website.Get an unlimited package.Pay next to nothing.*Go to http://in.business.yahoo.com/