Re: [redhat] Off Topic question

  • deepak malik
    Message 1 of 20 , May 8, 2009
      Hi Dan- you can use *FireBurner*
      <http://www.fireburner.com/>,*Mp3Cd*<http://www.yty.net/h/mp3cd/>
      and cdrecorder.

      Thanks :)

      Message 2 of 20 , May 9, 2009
        On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 12:36:03PM -0400, Jeff Lane wrote:
        > On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 12:11, Dan <hyattdj@...> wrote:
        >
        > >> Godwin tends to write EXCELLENT howtos (at least IMHO).
        >

        > Godwin indeed writes excellent howtos. So maybe Thad should have
        > said RTGM (Read the Godwin manual) ;-)

        Hopefully, Thad will make a note of that.

        > I must also thank Scott for the link there and voice my own
        > embarassment. I use iTunes to rip CDs on windows, I don't bother
        > doing it on my Linux box anymore :( Partly because I'm lazy and my
        > wife likes iTunes, and that's the system with the big hard disks, and
        > partly because my aging Linux box takes so long to rip/encode the
        > files...

        For me, the power box is the CentOS server/worktation, so it's where I
        do most things--though at one point, I was having trouble with dvdbackup
        (before discovering vobcopy) so stuck a small Linux Mint install on the
        second HD.

        My wife's Mac is also powerful, but at this point in time, it's usually
        easiest for me to figure out the Linux solution.

        For example, she had a perfectly legitimate copy of A Midsummer Night's
        Dream (the ballet in this case.) She'd bought it from Barnes and Noble
        a few years ago. It is two sided, one side the British way (PAL?) and
        the other side the American one (It has an I in it, I think).

        However, the American side was no good, so she couldn't play it on the
        main DVD player nor on her Mac. I was able to play it on the Linux
        machine.

        Eventually, I found a rather good method of converting.

        http://idolinux.blogspot.com/2008/09/encode-dvd-to-avi-with-mplayer-on-linux.html

        Basically involves using vobcopy then working with the avi you can get.

        It's pretty annoying with all the DRM stuff that makes it impossible to
        play a legit CD or DVD.

        Xander: I can not stress enough how much I don't have plans.
      • Thad Floryan
        Message 3 of 20 , May 9, 2009
          --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Dan <hyattdj@...> wrote:

          > Care to point out the FM......
          > I am a UNIX Admin....not an audiophile.
          > My music is still CDs...I started with Vinyl and 8 track tapes......as a
          > young lad...a
          > and graduated to cassettes then CDS

          Sure. Since the player is in your car, I would expect the instructions
          how to use it would be in, perhaps, the glovebox in the owner's manual.

          You wrote "Also, if my car has an MP3 player, do I put MP3s on the CD
          and into the CD player?" which isn't clear. Does your car have an MP3
          player or does it have a CD player (or both)? Modern cars have all
          sorts of Audio/Visual jacks, connections (even Bluetooth) and displays
          so the only way to answer your question is RTFM.

          In a general sense, MP3s written to a data CD can be played in a
          featureful CD/DVD player, but in the absence of a brand and model
          number there's no way for anyone to know your car's player's (or
          players') feature set(s).
        • Thad Floryan
          Message 4 of 20 , May 9, 2009
            --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Lane <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:

            > On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 12:11, Dan <hyattdj@...> wrote:
            >
            > >> Godwin tends to write EXCELLENT howtos (at least IMHO).
            >

            > > It was exactly what I was looking for. The perfect mix between cookbook
            > > and explanation.
            > > And some of his other links are sweet too.
            >
            > Godwin indeed writes excellent howtos. So maybe Thad should have
            > said RTGM (Read the Godwin manual) ;-)

            I did (in my reply) though I didn't directly attribute it to Godwin,
            just the URL to Godwin's article.
          • Thad Floryan
            Message 5 of 20 , May 9, 2009
              --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

              > > Godwin indeed writes excellent howtos. So maybe Thad should have
              > > said RTGM (Read the Godwin manual) ;-)
              >
              > Hopefully, Thad will make a note of that.

              My original reply to Dan had this (at the end):

              " [...]
              " These come highly recommended (all distros):
              "
              " RipperX -- http://sourceforge.net/projects/ripperx/
              "
              " cdparanoia
              "
              " http://linux.sgms-centre.com/nokiafaq/cd_rip_to_mp3/
              "
              " > On winblows?
              "
              " Free versions of Nero that come with CD+DVD drives work fine. The
              " ones you found with a Google probably work fine, too.

              I take it noone bothered reading it?
              Message 6 of 20 , May 9, 2009
                On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 09:50:23PM -0000, Thad Floryan wrote:
                > --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                > > > Godwin indeed writes excellent howtos. So maybe Thad should have
                > > > said RTGM (Read the Godwin manual) ;-)
                > >
                > > Hopefully, Thad will make a note of that.
                >
                > My original reply to Dan had this (at the end):
                >
                > " [...]
                > " These come highly recommended (all distros):
                > "
                > " RipperX -- http://sourceforge.net/projects/ripperx/
                > "
                > " cdparanoia
                > "
                > " http://linux.sgms-centre.com/nokiafaq/cd_rip_to_mp3/
                > "
                > " > On winblows?
                > "
                > " Free versions of Nero that come with CD+DVD drives work fine. The
                > " ones you found with a Google probably work fine, too.
                >
                > I take it noone bothered reading it?

                LOLOL. You know most of us don't read all words in a sentence. So, I
                suspect we all saw cdparanoia and didn't connect it to sgms.

                Isn't there some rule about taking the name of Godwin in vain--oh, no,
                different God, sorry. (Hopefully, no religious people are offended by
                that.)

                Sigh, I have to tell him to read this thread.

                Yes Thad, you're right and Jeff and I are wrong, but we're newbies, so
                you have to explicitly say Godwin there. :)

                Whimsically yours.....

                Faith: When I'm fighting, it's like the whole world goes
                away. I only know one thing: that I'm gonna win, and they're gonna
                lose. I like that feeling.
                Buffy: Well sure, beats that 'dead' feeling you get when they win
                and you lose.
              • gmsm@indiatimes.com
                Message 7 of 20 , May 11, 2009
                  Hi all,      This is my first e-mail to this group. But I was a silent member for a long time  & learning things.  I need your help here related to system calls  in linux. I am looking something (system call or reading /proc file system or may be something else)  to find out number of files opened by a process from inside the process itself.  Can someone knowledgable in this area, help me ? Thanks in adavnce =Gaurav

                  --
                  Exclusive spy camera shots of the Tata Nano only on ZigWheels.com
                  http://www.zigwheels.com/tata-nano/

                • abdo elrahman hegazy
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 12, 2009
                    I think using ps Command then getting the PID and then getting in the /proc
                    you can know all number of files opened by this prcess as you will find a
                    directory with this PID and this directry will contain al files opened by
                    this Proces.

                    On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 9:06 AM, <gmsm@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all, This is my first e-mail to this group. But I was a silent
                    > member for a long time & learning things. I need your help here related to
                    > system calls in linux. I am looking something (system call or reading /proc
                    > file system or may be something else) to find out number of files opened by
                    > a process from inside the process itself. Can someone knowledgable in this
                    > area, help me ? Thanks in adavnce =Gaurav
                    >
                    > --
                    > Exclusive spy camera shots of the Tata Nano only on ZigWheels.com
                    > http://www.zigwheels.com/tata-nano/

                    Regards,
                    Abdel Rahman Farag Hegazy

                    Never Break 4 Things in Your Life :TRUST - PROMISE - RELATION & HEART, when
                    they break,they don't make noise but a lot of PAIN .

                  • Thad Floryan
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 12, 2009
                      --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, gmsm@... wrote:

                      > Hi all,    This is my first e-mail to this group. But I was a
                      > silent member for a long time  & learning things.  I need your help
                      > here related to system calls  in linux. I am looking something
                      > (system call or reading /proc file system or may be something else)
                      > Â to find out number of files opened by a process from inside the
                      > process itself. Â Can someone knowledgable in this area, help me
                      > ? Thanks in adavnce =GauravÂ

                      You might want to start with this:

                      <http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl8_lsof.htm>

                      BTW, what are the "Â" doing in your message?
                    • gmsm@indiatimes.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 12, 2009
                        My intention was to use space .... No idea how it became A
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 13, 2009
                          ## Number of process opened by user "oracle "

                          lsof -u oracle | wc -l

                          N please go thru the provided link to know more about "lsof"

                          - Dominic

                          Own a website.Get an unlimited package.Pay next to nothing.*Go to http://in.business.yahoo.com/