vnc - help

  • new friend
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2009
      hi,

      i want to setup vnc server in Fedora and clinet is windowx xp.

      I did ..

      I installed vnc server in Fedora and vnc client in windows xp.
      useradd test
      passwd test
      ssh -l test -L 5902:localhost:5902 ipaddress(192.168.2.1)
      vncpasswd test

      when i tried from windows xp, it does not asking user name, it ask only passwd, why?

      i want to login the user from windows . can any one help me.

      how to create multiple vnc user in fedora and login from windows xp

      i want to create mutltiple vnc user in fedora and login from windows xp.

      regards,
      sundar

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2009
        On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 02:52:59PM +0530, new friend wrote:

        > hi,
        >
        > i want to setup vnc server in Fedora and clinet is windowx xp.
        >
        > I did ..
        >
        > I installed vnc server in Fedora and vnc client in windows xp.
        > useradd test
        > passwd test
        > ssh -l test -L 5902:localhost:5902 ipaddress(192.168.2.1)
        > vncpasswd test
        >

        > when i tried from windows xp, it does not asking user name, it ask only passwd, why?

        That's the way it works in Fedora. I've forgotten which VNC they use.

        You can set it up in /etc/sysconfig/vncservers for user 1 to have
        display 1, user 2 to have display 2, etc.

        Then you can do
        vnc 192.168.1.20:1

        and vnc 192.168.1.20:2

        And so forth.

        It can be the same user on both displays if you wish, the trouble with
        that is that they'll cut each other off--for example, if you log in as
        userA on display 1 and start firefox, then log in, again as userA on
        display 2 and start firefox, it will end the first session.

        The CentOS wiki (http://wiki.centos.org) has a nice thing in their howto
        section about using various versions of VNC.

        There's also the vino program which comes with Fedora, which lets a user
        log into the desktop that you're using--in other words, vnc will start a
        new display--if you're on display:0, the first vnc display will be :1,
        whereas vino lets a user login on :0.

        It's explained in good detail at the above mentioned link.

        > how to create multiple vnc user in fedora and login from windows xp
        >
        > i want to create mutltiple vnc user in fedora and login from windows xp.

        See above--you can have different users, and differnt passwords, but it
        won't ask the user name by default. Just set them for different
        displays, such as :1 :2 and so forth.

        Buffy: Ampata wasn't evil. At least, not to begin with.
        And...I do think she cared
        about you.
        Xander: Yeah, but I think that whole sucking the life out of people
        thing
        would've been a strain on the relationship.
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2009
          On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 06:33:04AM -0400, Scott wrote:
          > On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 02:52:59PM +0530, new friend wrote:
          > >
          > > hi,
          > >
          > > i want to setup vnc server in Fedora and clinet is windowx xp.
          > >
          > > I did ..
          > >
          > > I installed vnc server in Fedora and vnc client in windows xp.
          > > useradd test
          >
          > You can set it up in /etc/sysconfig/vncservers for user 1 to have
          > display 1, user 2 to have display 2, etc.
          >
          > Then you can do
          > vnc 192.168.1.20:1
          >
          > and vnc 192.168.1.20:2
          >
          > And so forth.

          To elaborate a little bit:

          In /etc/sysconfig/vncservers look for commented (with a # in front of
          it) line that says

          VNCSERVERS="2:myusername"
          (You can actually comment out the VNCSERVERARGS[1] line above it and
          start with display 1).

          Then change the line 2:myusername, to say, user1. Then add the others.

          VNCSERVERS="1:userone 2:user2" and so on.

          (I'm pretty sure that's the syntax, you might need a comma, like
          1:userone, 2:user2, and so forth, but I don't think so.)

          If you want it to run at boot do chkconfig vncserver on

          If you don't want to run it at boot, then do chkconfig vncserver off (it
          probably, like far too many Fedora, we're like Windows only worse,
          starts just about everything by default) do chkconfig vncserver off.
          Then to start it manually

          service vncserver on

          However, each username on Fedora will have had to run vncserver (as that
          user) at least once, to put in the password.

          Xander: Well, I guess that makes it official. Everybody's paired
          off. Vampires get dates. Hell, even the school librarian sees
          more action than me.