Re: using rsync for backup data

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2009
      On 30Mar2009 17:50, Andri Harman <andriharman@...> wrote:
      | I need help for my chase
      | I use fedora core 7 and I wan use it for backup data
      | source data : /root/drive_s
      | Destination(backup data): /root/backup_s
      | archive data : /root/archive_s
      |
      | I am looking for a syntax
      | During syncronisation, if we deleted source data, of course in the
      | backup data the item will be deleted also, but I'm looking for that can
      | make the deleted item will be saved automatically in the archive data,
      | does anyone can help me the script/syntax using rsync??

      I use histbackup:
      http://freshmeat.net/projects/histbackup
      Disclaimer: I wrote this particular script; there are plenty of others
      like it available.

      It is a wrapper for rsync which accrued dated directory snapshots in an
      archive area. Unchanged files are hard linked from old archives to the
      newer ones, so costing no additional disc space.

      These days you can almost do this directly with rsync's --link-dest
      directive. See "man rsync" ffor details.

      So in your archive directory you make subdirectories by date. The first
      one is just a copy as normal. You update the future archive directories
      with rsync using the above option (and the usual: -aH).

      Cheers,
      --
      Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
      http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

      | Alain van der Heide | This is the way the world ends |
      | avdh@... | This is the way the world ends |
      | "The opinions expressed above are mine- | This is the way the world ends |
      | mineminemine, and you can't have them." | Not with a bang, but with a whi

      segmentation fault
      core dumped