Re: [redhat] Loading Packages

  • Daniel Hyatt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2009

      ________________________________
      From: mrkcoconnell <mrkcoconnell@...>
      To: redhat@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 7:46:34 PM
      Subject: [redhat] Loading Packages

      Hi,

      I just installed Fedora on a new laptop. I am a developer new to
      Linux and I was surprised to see how much I had to load. I loaded a
      number of packages for gcc, perl, and even the make utility. Is this
      normal for Linux? I thought many of these items were part of an
      initial installation.

      I am more familiar with RHEL, but I think they are the same. In the install script you were supposed to choose all the developer stuff. Then the packages would have been installed at the gate
      When I forget to click the developer stuff when my applications need it. I usually just do a kickstart and add the developer set of packages to the install. Otherwise it never seems to work right.

      Kevin