Re: What are various fields in FSTAB

  • Niraj Bhatt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 18, 2009
      Hi,

      Personally what I feel is NO QUESTION IS SILLY QUESTION.
      We should open for all kind of questions, if we know answer then we
      can give otherwise just niglate it.

      Regards,
      Niraj Bhatt
      Unix Admin
      www.vglug.info

      --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Hyatt <hyattdj@...> wrote:

      > Question to other moderators.....
      >
      > do we want to approve these kinds of questions that are in the man
      pages and we can find the answer in google in 20 seconds?

      > I suggest that we moderators reject these with "google it, read the
      man page, or get a basic UNIX book, if you have a specific question,
      feel free to write back"

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 18, 2009
        On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:00:02PM -0000, Niraj Bhatt wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Personally what I feel is NO QUESTION IS SILLY QUESTION.
        > We should open for all kind of questions, if we know answer then we
        > can give otherwise just niglate it.

        I understand your viewpoint, but there are limits.
        This list drastically went down in quality, to the point where most of
        the people with knowledge stopped reading it. At that point, Daniel
        almost singlehandedly saved it.

        The problem isn't when someone doesn't understand a man page. The
        problem is when someone makes absolutely no effort to find out the
        answer, and simply asks.

        There are times when this happens--for instance, if someone has an
        emergency and needs help, but, there's a big difference between writing,
        what do the fields mean, and writing, I'm finding the man page
        difficult, can someone help explain what the fields mean?

        Sometimes, someone doesn't realize that there is a man page--or
        information somewhere else, especially with RedHat, which has, when
        compared with say, the BSDs, relatively bad documentation, scattered
        between man, info and /usr/share/doc, and also takes the attitude of
        "Let's change everything and not tell anyone," such as their moving the
        DNS config files and leaving it out of release notes.

        Then, when a bug was filed, not complaining about the change, but
        saying, how about an entry in /usr/share/doc/bind, maybe a
        README.RedHat, the answer was, "Not necessary, it's documented here for
        anyone who searches bugzilla."

        Of course, CentOS, the free version, put an entry in their FAQ, but
        CentOS people care about proper documentation. Anyway, that's a
        different rant. :)

        Point being, that while there are no stupid questions, there are lazy
        questions, and those are the ones that we will often reject, or just
        not pass through to the list.

        Now, here is a question for you. I see from your signature that you're
        a Unix adminstrator. Would you, during your student days, have posted a
        question like that, not even trying to find or figure out the answer
        yourself? I suspect that you wouldn't have.

        (Also, please try not to top post--although the yahoo mailer makes
        formatting messages difficult, and indeed, one of our mods does it, it's
        best to use inline posting.)

        Giles: Since Angel lost his soul, he's regained his sense of
        whimsy.
      • Daniel Hyatt
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 18, 2009

          >Personally what I feel is NO QUESTION IS SILLY QUESTION.
          >We should open for all kind of questions, if we know answer then we
          >can give otherwise just niglate it.

          As with system administration, IT, projects and everything else. There is an appropriete scope. And some messages are out of scope for this list.....so this is an opportunity for you or someone else on this list to shine. You can start a RedHat-newbie list for all RedHat begineer questions. Then we moderators can suggest that new members who are new admins ask thier questions on that list and read here for 3-6 months.
           At least 80% of the questions that are stupid questions are stupid because they used www.yahoogroups.com before they used www.google.com and they don't own any system administrators guide.
          This list is geared towards system administrators. And it is a moderated list for system administrator quality questions.
           p.s. It is not your feeling, but rather your opinion that there are no stupid questions.
          Dan