Re: [redhat] MS-Outlook to Evolution

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 3, 2009
      On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 01:25:25PM +0000, ed wrote:

      > On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 07:24:25PM -0500, Scott wrote:
      > > Actually, most email clients top post by default--again, in business,
      > > this often makes sense. Even mutt, considered an elite geek mail
      > > client, sets the cursor at top by default.
      >
      > I've never found mutt to put the cursor at the top of the message, it
      > puts it at the top of the headers for me. Simply pressing } twice puts
      > at the right place in the email for me. G once and then { would do the
      > same of course.

      That's the top of the message, IMHO. :) It puts me above the line, On
      Sat, Jan 03 blah blah.

      Doing }} puts me above the third paragraph, G, of course would take me
      to the end and I'd have to go up.

      I just hit j till it takes me where I want to be.

      > If it means I don't have to use the touchpad on this netbook then it's a
      > user interface enhancement... "maybe i should have got one of those
      > eees" he mumbles to himself...

      Which netbook? Most of them have horrible touchpads. :)
      I don't think most of the EEE's are any better in that respect.
      My Aspire One is annoying with those vertical click buttons, and tapping
      doesn't work all that well or else works too well. I've never really
      mastered touch pad scrolling. Fortunately, like you, I use the mouse as
      little as possible.

      There was, several years ago, a Gateway Arc 200, (I think) that had a
      nice little scroll wheel above the touch pad. It worked perfectly
      especially for pasting. As it is, trying to paste by hitting both
      clickers is always hit and miss.

      Spike: Willow, tell 'em what I did.
      Willow: You said you were gonna kill me, then Buffy.
      Spike: Yes, bad, but let's skip that part and get to
      the part where I couldn't bite you.
    • Satish Kumar P
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 5, 2009
        On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Neelesh Raje <linuxhash@...> wrote:
        > Dear all,
        >
        > We are going to shift windows pc to linux. How i will migrate mails of
        > MS-Outlook to evolution.
        >
        > thanks and regards,
        > Neelesh

        I assume you are changing the client-only (not the server). But just
        wanted to confirm. If the Mail server is MS exchange server and if you
        are storing mails on the server, it is pretty easy to start using mail
        client on Linux. Just start and configure Evolution for the mail
        account and as soon as you start the application, you would see all
        the emails and all the folders (recursively). This is one beauty you
        would see with Evolution. It would sync all the folders recursively
        for the mails.

        Even if the Mail server is not MS exchange (any other mail server),
        and if you are using IMAP, you could configure any email client
        (though i would prefer to start testing with evolution) and see if the
        mail client cam view all the messages on the server. In case, the MS
        outlook has been configured to download messages using POP3 etc., then
        you will really have to start looking for options to import emails. I
        have never done that, but seems plausible.
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 5, 2009
          I am trying to figure out a configuration I did on Thunderbird mail
          client a while ago and cannot figure out how to do it now. I have poured
          through google and thunderbird/mozilla to no avail. As I remember it was
          a very easy configuration, just not obvious.

          On the left side it has the folders pane. Under it, it has Local Folders
          with all the sub folders underneath.
          But you can have the emails to each specific address under its own
          heading, not under local folders. In this pane, in the past I had a tier
          one folder for each of my email addresses, with "Local Folders" being
          tier one.

          I have my various email addresses in tools:account settings but they
          do not show up individually on the pain, they use the inbox/send box
          under "local folders".

          Thanks,
          Dan
          > ___
        • James Freer
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 5, 2009
            Dan

            I've used Thunderbird for sometime for 4 email accounts and i think
            you have got a bit confused about the local folders. Basically forget
            them - only applicable if you have one email account... just ignore...
            why it's like that i don't know.

            Set up separate email accounts and you'll be fine. Remember to set the
            outgoing smtp for each one.

            james

            2009/1/5 Dan <hyattdj@...>:
            > I am trying to figure out a configuration I did on Thunderbird mail
            > client a while ago and cannot figure out how to do it now. I have poured
            > through google and thunderbird/mozilla to no avail. As I remember it was
            > a very easy configuration, just not obvious.
            >
            > On the left side it has the folders pane. Under it, it has Local Folders
            > with all the sub folders underneath.
            > But you can have the emails to each specific address under its own
            > heading, not under local folders. In this pane, in the past I had a tier
            > one folder for each of my email addresses, with "Local Folders" being
            > tier one.
            >
            > I have my various email addresses in tools:account settings but they
            > do not show up individually on the pain, they use the inbox/send box
            > under "local folders".
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Dan
            >> ___

          • James Freer
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 5, 2009
              have you followed this link's instructions?
              http://opensourcearticles.com/thunderbird_15/english/part_01

              james

              2009/1/5 James Freer <jessejazza@...>:
              > Dan
              >
              > I've used Thunderbird for sometime for 4 email accounts and i think
              > you have got a bit confused about the local folders. Basically forget
              > them - only applicable if you have one email account... just ignore...
              > why it's like that i don't know.
              >
              > Set up separate email accounts and you'll be fine. Remember to set the
              > outgoing smtp for each one.
              >
              > james
              >
              > 2009/1/5 Dan <hyattdj@...>:
              >> I am trying to figure out a configuration I did on Thunderbird mail
              >> client a while ago and cannot figure out how to do it now. I have poured
              >> through google and thunderbird/mozilla to no avail. As I remember it was
              >> a very easy configuration, just not obvious.
              >>
              >> On the left side it has the folders pane. Under it, it has Local Folders
              >> with all the sub folders underneath.
              >> But you can have the emails to each specific address under its own
              >> heading, not under local folders. In this pane, in the past I had a tier
              >> one folder for each of my email addresses, with "Local Folders" being
              >> tier one.
              >>
              >> I have my various email addresses in tools:account settings but they
              >> do not show up individually on the pain, they use the inbox/send box
              >> under "local folders".
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >> Dan
              >>> ___

            • Dan
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 5, 2009
                I have all my mail going to local folders.
                I want to have them each set to have their own folder stack like Morten
                is his own stack.

                Mark your email address and press "Get mail".

                No description available

                You are immediatly asked for the password to your email account, fill in
                and press OK, you can also choose if you want Thunderbird to remember
                the password. Don't save the password until you're sure it's typed in
                correctly - as it is hard to change it once it has been saved.

                James Freer wrote:

                > Dan
                >
                > I've used Thunderbird for sometime for 4 email accounts and i think
                > you have got a bit confused about the local folders. Basically forget
                > them - only applicable if you have one email account... just ignore...
                > why it's like that i don't know.
                >
                > Set up separate email accounts and you'll be fine. Remember to set the
                > outgoing smtp for each one.
                >
                > james
                >
                > 2009/1/5 Dan <hyattdj@... <mailto:hyattdj%40yahoo.com>>:
                > > I am trying to figure out a configuration I did on Thunderbird mail
                > > client a while ago and cannot figure out how to do it now. I have poured
                > > through google and thunderbird/mozilla to no avail. As I remember it was
                > > a very easy configuration, just not obvious.
                > >
                > > On the left side it has the folders pane. Under it, it has Local Folders
                > > with all the sub folders underneath.
                > > But you can have the emails to each specific address under its own
                > > heading, not under local folders. In this pane, in the past I had a tier
                > > one folder for each of my email addresses, with "Local Folders" being
                > > tier one.
                > >
                > > I have my various email addresses in tools:account settings but they
                > > do not show up individually on the pain, they use the inbox/send box
                > > under "local folders".
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Dan
                > >> ___

              • Satish Kumar P
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 5, 2009
                  On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 5:34 AM, Dan <hyattdj@...> wrote:
                  > I have all my mail going to local folders.
                  > I want to have them each set to have their own folder stack like Morten
                  > is his own stack.
                  >
                  > Mark your email address and press "Get mail".
                  >
                  > No description available
                  >
                  > You are immediatly asked for the password to your email account, fill in
                  > and press OK, you can also choose if you want Thunderbird to remember
                  > the password. Don't save the password until you're sure it's typed in
                  > correctly - as it is hard to change it once it has been saved.

                  I think I got your problem correctly. Go to each and every Mail
                  account settings and 'Disable' an option (Mail should go to Global
                  Mail Store .... or something similar). When you enable this option
                  when configuring the Mail accounts, the mail gets delivered to the
                  'Local Folders' instead of Individual mail accounts' Inbox etc. Try
                  that and let me know if that helps.
                • Dan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 5, 2009
                    The closest I can find is copies and folders.

                    The folder pull down menu does not allow me to add folders at the top level.

                    There is nothing like global mail store

                    Satish Kumar P wrote:

                    > On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 5:34 AM, Dan <hyattdj@...
                    > <mailto:hyattdj%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                    > > I have all my mail going to local folders.
                    > > I want to have them each set to have their own folder stack like Morten
                    > > is his own stack.
                    > >
                    > > Mark your email address and press "Get mail".
                    > >
                    > > No description available
                    > >
                    > > You are immediatly asked for the password to your email account, fill in
                    > > and press OK, you can also choose if you want Thunderbird to remember
                    > > the password. Don't save the password until you're sure it's typed in
                    > > correctly - as it is hard to change it once it has been saved.
                    > >

                    > I think I got your problem correctly. Go to each and every Mail
                    > account settings and 'Disable' an option (Mail should go to Global
                    > Mail Store .... or something similar). When you enable this option
                    > when configuring the Mail accounts, the mail gets delivered to the
                    > 'Local Folders' instead of Individual mail accounts' Inbox etc. Try
                    > that and let me know if that helps.

                  • kamil_stawirej
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 6, 2009
                      --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Dan <hyattdj@...> wrote:

                      > The closest I can find is copies and folders.
                      >
                      > The folder pull down menu does not allow me to add folders at the
                      top level.

                      > There is nothing like global mail store

                      Dan,

                      Go to: edit >> account settings >> server settings (for each account)
                      >> advanced account settings

                      Check the 'Inbox for this server's account'.

                      You should see the relevant inbox immediately on accepting the choice.
                      Repeat the procedure for all the email accounts you want to have
                      separate inboxes.

                      Regards!

                      Kamil