creating Swap Space

  • vijay sridhar
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008

        Dear All,

              in have a linux Server in which oracle is Installed . in that server i need to increse the swap space. my ram size 1.5Gbut swap space is 1.5 G.b. so i am facing perforamce problem,

       now how to increase the Swap Space using command.

      /data 40G Free Sapce
      /       5G  Free Space

       Thanks in Advance.

       Regards

       S.Vijay

      Be the first one to try the new Messenger 9 Beta! Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/win/

    • ram_bilas_v1
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
        well,

        create partition using fdisk command u can do something like this...
        i suppose u have unpartitioned space in ur Hard Disk be it /dev/hda
        or /dev/sda

        #fdisk /dev/hda
        use /dev/sda in case u have SATA or SCSI hard Disk
        press 'n' to create a new partition
        press enter once
        then enter the size in format like '+1500M' this will be ur extra
        size of swap partition you need

        then t
        select the latest partition u have created. this should be a numeric
        input

        enter 82

        then finall press w to save the changes to fdisk

        # partprobe
        #mkswap /dev/hda? the partition number use /dev/sda/ in case SATA
        or SCSI

        #swapon /dev/hda?

        to mount the swap permanently edit the fstab file

        #vi /etc/fstab
        add the following entry

        /dev/hda? swap swap defaults 0 0

        save & Exit

        #mount -o remount -a

        #top

        or

        free
        you can now see the extended swap

        --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, vijay sridhar <vijaysridhar03@...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
          On 01Oct2008 19:26, vijay sridhar <vijaysridhar03@...> wrote:
          | in have a linux Server in which oracle is Installed . in that server
          | i need to increse the swap space. my ram size 1.5Gbut swap space is 1.5
          | G.b. so i am facing perforamce problem,
          |  now how to increase the Swap Space using command.
          |
          | /data 40G Free Sapce
          | /       5G  Free Space

          If your disc partition already fill your disc (likely) then you
          probably want to make a swap file. See "man mkswap" for creating one
          and "man swapon" for using it immediately and "man fstab" for using it
          automatically on boot.

          However, if you have 1.5GB of RAM and are already using your 1.5GB
          of existing swap, then you have serious performance problems already.
          Adding more swap will do NOTHING to solve your performance problems,
          though it may let your system continue to function (badly) where before
          it may run out of VM and kill oracle.

          You really need more RAM. Go and ready this wikipedia article:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrash_(computer_science)

          Cheers,
          --
          Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
          http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

          A fool learns from his mistakes, a wise man from someone elses.
          - Chris Snowdon <csnowdon@...>
        • senthil kumar
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008

                  first use swapoff..then use mkswap and then edit fstab,then use mount -a  (use man page for further or use redhat inbuild documentation its havning so many ways to simplify like this type of technical issues )...for this type issue u can create swap by logically during installtion if u have low main memory..it is very easy method incase of to increse swap or virtual memory space.

            -Senthil Kumar.S

            - Chris Snowdon <csnowdon@wmc. ac.uk>