Re: [redhat] Re: Installation DVD

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2008
      Thad Floryan wrote:

      > --- In redhat@yahoogroups. com <mailto:redhat%40yahoogroups.com>, Dan
      > <hyattdj@... > wrote:
      > >
      > > Take your RedHat subscription, and go to the RedHat site, and download
      > > the DVD version of RHEL4
      > >
      > > There should be 32byte, 64byte, and for the other hardware...
      > > Dan
      >
      > Good advice; the thought of piracy hadn't occurred to me, and there's
      > no way to rescind my original post. :-(

      Piracy does not really figure into it. If you have a subscription, then
      you can download the DVD or CD iso's you are allowed by RedHat to use
      the version without buying the subscription for 30 days. After that is a
      little gray.

      If you got CDs from somewhere, RedHat passes them out all over so it is
      not Piracy to use those. But you should have a subscription.

      If you are worried about it, use Centos or Fedora

      The really big deal IMHO is when a commercial enterprise is using it in
      production and not paying subscriptions. To bust the chops of someone
      learning RedHat by a home installation conflicts with the idea of the
      copyleft GNU Linux licenses (did I get that right) that is what Linux is
      all about.