Re: [redhat] Re: help! How to face Linux job interview

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29, 2008
      On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 08:15:28PM +0530, somnath laha wrote:
      > Thanks Mr.Scott for your invaluable advice. I shall keep in mind what you
      > have said, actually I took it as informal means of exchanging informations,
      > so i wrote it that way. Anyway you have made me aware of this type of soft
      > skills also.

      It seems unfair (and might be unfair) but it's a fact of life,
      especially if there are several candidates and you're one of the favored
      ones.

      As for mailing lists like this, (and this is not directed specifically
      at you, there are people who do it far more often).....

      It seems that most of the people who do this (that is always use text
      speak) are from countries that don't have English as their first
      language. I know that when I was learning a foreign language, I thought
      that using a lot of slang would make it seem as if I REALLY understood
      the language and culture.

      However, in the end, it made me appear as if I didn't have manners. For
      example, if you invited me over to your house, and to show your parents
      how well I speak your language, I say, "Hey you, bring me something to
      drink," it only makes me sound rude. :)

      That's what I think I see on these lists. Many of you folks write
      English better than we who were raised in English speaking countries
      do--and of course, you want to show how you can talk casually.

      However, a mailing list isn't an instant message type thing. Often, the
      people most able to help are busy professionals, and as I said before,
      even in this pretty casual atmosphere, many people will see the "u" "i",
      "plz" "thx" and so forth and think, "Why should I take my precious time
      to help someone who is too lazy to type properly?"

      There's a great article on the web, how to ask questions the smart way.
      (Just put that whole phrase into google and you should find it easily.)

      It's by Eric Stuart Raymond and it's an excellent guide to explaining
      the best way to get people's help. It also does a better job than I can
      of explaining the difference between English mistakes or typos from
      someone who doesn't have it as their first language and what many of us
      will take as deliberate laziness. :)

      So, I hope this helps--I know that looking for your first job can be
      very scary--the funny thing is that once you get it, you wonder why it
      was so difficult.

      Keep us posted with stories of your successes--or even your failures, if
      you're willing, as they might help others.

      Principal Snyder: There are some things I can just smell. It's
      like a sixth sense.
      Giles: No, actually, that would be one of the five.
    • Jerome C
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 31, 2008
                    this is jerome ..
             i also ve  completed RHCE ..this month
        even i would lik to know about interview questions..
          if you come to know about that
        just let me know ... i am very much eager in getting a job in
        \linux oriented field
        just share your experience
        with kind regards
        jerome
           RHCE
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2008
          By the way, if I was a hiring manager and someone came in from this list
          with questions like that....I would commend them for thinking outside
          the box and doing some research.

          My friend teaches LINUX at a university. He cannot get students to
          google for answers or join lists and listen/ask at all. He offers extra
          credit and tells them the question will be on the test, they can google
          the answer and they STILL will not research the question...