Re: older system not recognizing beyond 120G of new drive

  • kamil_stawirej
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
      --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Lane" <sundowner225@...> wrote:

      > To be honest, this is THE reason I keep a windows machine around.
      > Well, this, my iPod and Microsoft Flight Simulator.

      As for ipods, you no longer need windows :-) Rhythmbox 11.x supports
      ipods well (for music), especially with libgpod 0.6 installed. I've
      recently compiled rhythmbox 11.3 on my centos 5.2 box, against libgpod
      0.6 from fedora 8, and it works like a charm, syncing being much much
      faster than it is with iTunes. Also, rhythmbox automatically converts
      ogg files into mp3's when syncing, so you can keep your ogg library
      (if any) as is.

      If you have a third-generation nano ipod you may need to do this, though:

      1. get the serial number of your ipod
      (as root:)
      lsusb -v | grep -i Serial

      (not necessarily as root)
      2. open or create a file called SysInfo on your ipod in
      iTunes_Control/Device/.

      3. write in it:

      FirewireGuid: 0x{your ipod's serial No.}

      and save the file. Unmount your ipod and mount it again. You may also
      need to reboot your ipod.

      After that your ipod should be able to "see" the music files you
      upload to it.

      Kamil

      ps. there are of course more linux apps that support ipods (e.g.
      amarok, songbird, gtkpod etc.) so you there's plenty of choice.
    • Jeff Lane
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
        On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:33 AM, kamil_stawirej <schizoid@...> wrote:
        > As for ipods, you no longer need windows :-) Rhythmbox 11.x supports
        > ipods well (for music), especially with libgpod 0.6 installed. I've
        > recently compiled rhythmbox 11.3 on my centos 5.2 box, against libgpod
        > 0.6 from fedora 8, and it works like a charm, syncing being much much
        > faster than it is with iTunes. Also, rhythmbox automatically converts
        > ogg files into mp3's when syncing, so you can keep your ogg library
        > (if any) as is.

        Problem is, Rhythmbox doesn't do some things iTunes does...

        For example, smart playlists, and I have yet to get Rhythmbox to work
        properly with podcasts, audiobooks and videos...
        at least that was the case for me with 0.11.2 that comes with Ubuntu...

        I don't keep oggs either... I used ogg years ago, and found that no
        one supported it, so I never looked back, really... I should revisit
        that though some time, but I've got a small collection (around 10,000
        files) of music and audiobooks and reformatting them all would suck
        and no one that I know of at least provides legal ogg downloads...

        Meh... it's a case of "6 of one, a half-dozen of the other"
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
          On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 09:40:10AM -0400, Jeff Lane wrote:
          > On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:33 AM, kamil_stawirej <schizoid@...> wrote:

          > I don't keep oggs either... I used ogg years ago, and found that no
          > one supported it, so I never looked back, really... I should revisit
          > that though some time, but I've got a small collection (around 10,000
          > files) of music and audiobooks and reformatting them all would suck
          > and no one that I know of at least provides legal ogg downloads...

          Well you could just run some sort of for loop on a slow day...

          for i in *.mp3
          do
          lame --decode $i (then something I don't feel like testing to make the
          suffix .wav, something like ${i%.mp3}.wav
          oggenc $i

          Depending on speed of the machine, it should only take, errm, 20,000
          minutes or so. That's only 333 hours, which is only 13 days which is
          only 1 week and...oh, never mind.

          Anya: You know this isn't your world, right? I mean, you know you
          don't belong here.
          Willow: No. This is a dumb world. On my world, there are people
          in chains, and we can ride them like ponies.
        • kamil_stawirej
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
            --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Lane" <sundowner225@...> wrote:

            > Problem is, Rhythmbox doesn't do some things iTunes does...
            >
            > For example, smart playlists, and I have yet to get Rhythmbox to work
            > properly with podcasts, audiobooks and videos...
            > at least that was the case for me with 0.11.2 that comes with Ubuntu...

            OK, that may be the case (I haven't tried any podcasts or audiobooks
            with rhythmbox), but mind you rhythmbox is not meant for watching
            videos. Still, there are a few more apps with ipod support. Why not
            try them?

            > I don't keep oggs either... I used ogg years ago, and found that no
            > one supported it, so I never looked back, really... I should revisit
            > that though some time, but I've got a small collection (around 10,000
            > files) of music and audiobooks and reformatting them all would suck
            > and no one that I know of at least provides legal ogg downloads...

            I just meant that you don't need to convert oggs manually _if_ you
            have them in your collection. By the way, there are a few sites with
            legal oggs: jamendo, magnatune or mindawn.

            Kamil
          • Jeff Lane
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 4, 2008
              On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 12:28 PM, kamil_stawirej <schizoid@...> wrote:
              > --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Lane" <sundowner225@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Problem is, Rhythmbox doesn't do some things iTunes does...
              >>
              >> For example, smart playlists, and I have yet to get Rhythmbox to work
              >> properly with podcasts, audiobooks and videos...
              >> at least that was the case for me with 0.11.2 that comes with Ubuntu...
              >
              > OK, that may be the case (I haven't tried any podcasts or audiobooks
              > with rhythmbox), but mind you rhythmbox is not meant for watching
              > videos. Still, there are a few more apps with ipod support. Why not
              > try them?

              Apparently, I am one of the very few people in the world who actually
              watches video on my iPod Video ;-)

              I also listen to the audiobooks quite a bit. They help pass the time
              while waiting for all the installs to get done, and when I am working
              on the 8-node which takes up to 30 minutes to boot...

              As to why not try them... which ones? The only two I really ever
              tried are Korama/Amarok and Rhythmbox. Otherwise, the honest answer
              is that I am lazy. After working on these things for 8 - 10 hours or
              more a day, the last thing I really want to do is go home and work
              more on them... the other part of the answer is that I just dont know
              what does and does not support iPods. There are SO MANY different
              OSS apps for this, that, and so on that it's hard to know about them
              all. That's why I am on lists like this one heh...

              Also, what about support should I decide to finally upgrade to either
              a 16GB iPhone (not quite as likely right now) or a 32GB iPod Touch
              (Highly likely at the moment)??

              > I just meant that you don't need to convert oggs manually _if_ you
              > have them in your collection. By the way, there are a few sites with
              > legal oggs: jamendo, magnatune or mindawn.

              See, this is what I meant when I said this is the reason I am on lists
              like this. I've never heard of those three before, but I have now, so
              I will certainly be checking them out. I learned something new
              already, and I've only been at work for about half an hour!

              heh... Thanks Kamil!

              Cheers,
              Jeff