Re: [redhat] older system not recognizing beyond 120G of new drive

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 31, 2008
      On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:49:06AM -0700, Daniel Hyatt wrote:
      > Since we have been getting a lot of students with frivolous imaginary
      > questions. Does anyone want to continue this thread briefly talking
      > about their favorite GNU or freeware software?
      >
      > Personally I like it.

      Well, for what purposes? I'm not very graphical these days, so I don't
      use Gimp save to try to make some little backgrounds.

      My essential ones are mutt, getmail (finally, due at least in part to my
      whining, available as an rpm) maildrop (not available as rpm though
      there is a specfile, that usually fails to build, in the tarball, w3m,
      for sending mail msmtp, fluxbox....hrrm, that's the first batch of
      things I install, after screen, which is essential.

      Buffy: You read my diary? That is not OK. A diary is like a
      person's most private possession. You don't even know what I was
      writing about. Hunk can mean a lot of things, bad things. And,
      and when I said his eyes were penetrating, I meant bulging.
      Angel: Buffy...
      Buffy: A doesn't even stand for Angel for that matter. It stand
      for Achmed, a charming foreign exchange student. And that whole
      fantasy part has nothing to even do with you, at all...
      Angel: Your mother moved your diary when she came in to
      straighten up. I watched her from the closet. I didn't read it, I
      swear.
      Buffy: Oh.
    • kamil_stawirej
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
        --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Lane" <sundowner225@...> wrote:

        > To be honest, this is THE reason I keep a windows machine around.
        > Well, this, my iPod and Microsoft Flight Simulator.

        As for ipods, you no longer need windows :-) Rhythmbox 11.x supports
        ipods well (for music), especially with libgpod 0.6 installed. I've
        recently compiled rhythmbox 11.3 on my centos 5.2 box, against libgpod
        0.6 from fedora 8, and it works like a charm, syncing being much much
        faster than it is with iTunes. Also, rhythmbox automatically converts
        ogg files into mp3's when syncing, so you can keep your ogg library
        (if any) as is.

        If you have a third-generation nano ipod you may need to do this, though:

        1. get the serial number of your ipod
        (as root:)
        lsusb -v | grep -i Serial

        (not necessarily as root)
        2. open or create a file called SysInfo on your ipod in
        iTunes_Control/Device/.

        3. write in it:

        FirewireGuid: 0x{your ipod's serial No.}

        and save the file. Unmount your ipod and mount it again. You may also
        need to reboot your ipod.

        After that your ipod should be able to "see" the music files you
        upload to it.

        Kamil

        ps. there are of course more linux apps that support ipods (e.g.
        amarok, songbird, gtkpod etc.) so you there's plenty of choice.
      • Jeff Lane
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
          On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:33 AM, kamil_stawirej <schizoid@...> wrote:
          > As for ipods, you no longer need windows :-) Rhythmbox 11.x supports
          > ipods well (for music), especially with libgpod 0.6 installed. I've
          > recently compiled rhythmbox 11.3 on my centos 5.2 box, against libgpod
          > 0.6 from fedora 8, and it works like a charm, syncing being much much
          > faster than it is with iTunes. Also, rhythmbox automatically converts
          > ogg files into mp3's when syncing, so you can keep your ogg library
          > (if any) as is.

          Problem is, Rhythmbox doesn't do some things iTunes does...

          For example, smart playlists, and I have yet to get Rhythmbox to work
          properly with podcasts, audiobooks and videos...
          at least that was the case for me with 0.11.2 that comes with Ubuntu...

          I don't keep oggs either... I used ogg years ago, and found that no
          one supported it, so I never looked back, really... I should revisit
          that though some time, but I've got a small collection (around 10,000
          files) of music and audiobooks and reformatting them all would suck
          and no one that I know of at least provides legal ogg downloads...

          Meh... it's a case of "6 of one, a half-dozen of the other"
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
            On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 09:40:10AM -0400, Jeff Lane wrote:
            > On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:33 AM, kamil_stawirej <schizoid@...> wrote:

            > I don't keep oggs either... I used ogg years ago, and found that no
            > one supported it, so I never looked back, really... I should revisit
            > that though some time, but I've got a small collection (around 10,000
            > files) of music and audiobooks and reformatting them all would suck
            > and no one that I know of at least provides legal ogg downloads...

            Well you could just run some sort of for loop on a slow day...

            for i in *.mp3
            do
            lame --decode $i (then something I don't feel like testing to make the
            suffix .wav, something like ${i%.mp3}.wav
            oggenc $i

            Depending on speed of the machine, it should only take, errm, 20,000
            minutes or so. That's only 333 hours, which is only 13 days which is
            only 1 week and...oh, never mind.

            Anya: You know this isn't your world, right? I mean, you know you
            don't belong here.
            Willow: No. This is a dumb world. On my world, there are people
            in chains, and we can ride them like ponies.
          • kamil_stawirej
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
              --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Lane" <sundowner225@...> wrote:

              > Problem is, Rhythmbox doesn't do some things iTunes does...
              >
              > For example, smart playlists, and I have yet to get Rhythmbox to work
              > properly with podcasts, audiobooks and videos...
              > at least that was the case for me with 0.11.2 that comes with Ubuntu...

              OK, that may be the case (I haven't tried any podcasts or audiobooks
              with rhythmbox), but mind you rhythmbox is not meant for watching
              videos. Still, there are a few more apps with ipod support. Why not
              try them?

              > I don't keep oggs either... I used ogg years ago, and found that no
              > one supported it, so I never looked back, really... I should revisit
              > that though some time, but I've got a small collection (around 10,000
              > files) of music and audiobooks and reformatting them all would suck
              > and no one that I know of at least provides legal ogg downloads...

              I just meant that you don't need to convert oggs manually _if_ you
              have them in your collection. By the way, there are a few sites with
              legal oggs: jamendo, magnatune or mindawn.

              Kamil
            • Jeff Lane
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 4, 2008
                On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 12:28 PM, kamil_stawirej <schizoid@...> wrote:
                > --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Lane" <sundowner225@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Problem is, Rhythmbox doesn't do some things iTunes does...
                >>
                >> For example, smart playlists, and I have yet to get Rhythmbox to work
                >> properly with podcasts, audiobooks and videos...
                >> at least that was the case for me with 0.11.2 that comes with Ubuntu...
                >
                > OK, that may be the case (I haven't tried any podcasts or audiobooks
                > with rhythmbox), but mind you rhythmbox is not meant for watching
                > videos. Still, there are a few more apps with ipod support. Why not
                > try them?

                Apparently, I am one of the very few people in the world who actually
                watches video on my iPod Video ;-)

                I also listen to the audiobooks quite a bit. They help pass the time
                while waiting for all the installs to get done, and when I am working
                on the 8-node which takes up to 30 minutes to boot...

                As to why not try them... which ones? The only two I really ever
                tried are Korama/Amarok and Rhythmbox. Otherwise, the honest answer
                is that I am lazy. After working on these things for 8 - 10 hours or
                more a day, the last thing I really want to do is go home and work
                more on them... the other part of the answer is that I just dont know
                what does and does not support iPods. There are SO MANY different
                OSS apps for this, that, and so on that it's hard to know about them
                all. That's why I am on lists like this one heh...

                Also, what about support should I decide to finally upgrade to either
                a 16GB iPhone (not quite as likely right now) or a 32GB iPod Touch
                (Highly likely at the moment)??

                > I just meant that you don't need to convert oggs manually _if_ you
                > have them in your collection. By the way, there are a few sites with
                > legal oggs: jamendo, magnatune or mindawn.

                See, this is what I meant when I said this is the reason I am on lists
                like this. I've never heard of those three before, but I have now, so
                I will certainly be checking them out. I learned something new
                already, and I've only been at work for about half an hour!

                heh... Thanks Kamil!

                Cheers,
                Jeff