Re: [redhat] Install Fedora 9 1386 over Fedora 8 x_64

  • ed
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2008
      On Sat, 31 May 2008 21:36:06 -0000
      "gee.seven" <gee.seven@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I want to install Fedora 9 i386 over my Fedora 8 x86_64 installation
      > on my HD. How should I proceed:
      >
      > 1) Remove all linux partions
      > 2) Remove/resize existing partitions
      > .. I would rather not create new partitions as I cant see/understand
      > what they are.
      >
      > I just want to preserve my present /home folder (yet I have a backup)
      > but installation instructions are nebulous to me, the options are not
      > clearly defined. I just want to install the F9 i386 over my F8 x86_64.
      >
      > What is the simplest way to do this ?

      Simply rm the partitions other than /home, make a note of what was
      in /etc/fstab and then reinstall.

      Why would you want to resize? You've not given a reason for that, are
      you trying to permanently delete data there, if so use dd to write over
      those blocks with /dev/zero.

      --
      The 14.4 dialup to the Wookie Village is fscking because of binary
      language of moisture vaporators. Tech Support is eating 24 free dinners

    • Abdul Raziq
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
        Dear Gee Seven,

        as your question you want to upgarde your F8 in F9. for that i am simply say to chose the upgarde option during the F9 installation Disk.

        Best regards

        Raziq

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
          With all due respect to the answer below, it makes the assumption
          that /home is on a separate partition which may very well not be the
          case.

          I would strongly recommend you backup /home to a media format. Then
          you can install F9 i386 and choose to remove all linux partions or
          remove all partitions as part of the reinstall. Of course you will
          lose all your system settings as they will have to be reconfigured.

          On the other hand, since it seems you have an x86_64 machine, if it
          was me, I'd be inclined to upgrade install with F9 x86_64 and then
          add the i386 dependencies as needed. This way you can retain your
          system settings, take advantage of the 64-bit throughput and still
          install 32 bit apps as needed.

          Hope it helps...