yum with local available packages

  • Linux Guru
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2008
      Hello All,
      How can i direct yum to check for local available packages first and then to check on Internet repository.
      like i have some rpm packages under "/download" directory.and whenever i want to update or install packages with yum then yum should look under /download directory first if it requires another packages (like dependency) then it should check for internet repository for only unavailable packages.

      Please help.

      Thank You,
      Pushpraj

      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2008
        On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 07:19:51AM -0700, Linux Guru wrote:
        > Hello All,
        > How can i direct yum to check for local available packages first and then to check on Internet repository.
        > like i have some rpm packages under "/download" directory.and whenever i want to update or install packages with yum then yum should look under /download directory first if it requires another packages (like dependency) then it should check for internet repository for only unavailable packages.
        >
        > Please help.

        UNTESTED!!!!!

        I seem to remember that what I did was something like cd into the
        directory where I had the rpm.

        Then, I would do yum --localinstall whatever and it would first check
        locally.

        Note the untested with !!! that I put though, I fear I just don't
        remember if that is really what I did.

        Spike: We're out of Wheat-a-Bix.
        Giles: We are out of Wheat-a-Bix because you ate it all. Again.
        Spike: Get some more.
        Giles: I thought vampires were supposed to eat blood.
        Spike: Yeah, well, sometimes I like to crumble up the Wheat-a-Bix
        in the blood. Gives it a little texture.
        Giles: Since the picture you just painted means that I will never
        touch food of any kind again, you'll just have to pick it up
        yourself.
        Spike: Sissy.