mount problem ??

  • kamal tej
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 2008
      hi ..i am using ubuntu ultimate .. the first time i logged in i was automatically able to see my windows drives mounted ... but the second time they are gone !!!..
      i checked fstab and it is correct ..no changes in it ...
      plz help.....

      ---------------------------------

      ---------------------------------
      Every morning in Africa , a deer wakes up.
      It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
      Every morning a lion wakes up .
      It knows it must outrun the slowest deer or it will be killed.
      The point is not whether u r a lion or a deer.
      When the sun comes up,u better start running..

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 14, 2008
        On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:42:20AM +0000, kamal tej wrote:
        > hi ..i am using ubuntu ultimate .. the first time i logged in i was automatically able to see my windows drives mounted ... but the second time they are gone !!!..
        > i checked fstab and it is correct ..no changes in it ...
        > plz help.....

        I don't know much about Ubuntu (and this is a RedHat list, so you're
        better off asking these questions on an Ubuntu list.

        You say you checked /etc/fstab and it's correct. Are you sure? You
        might be better off posting it. Or, it might be some Ubuntu specific
        issue that an Ubuntu based list or forum would know. <shrug>.

        Willy: What are you gonna' do with him, anyway?
        Spike: I'm thinkin' maybe dinner and a movie. I don't want to
        rush into anything. I've been hurt, you know.
      • <papercodes/>
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 16, 2008
          with all due respect, mounting a drive in fstab is not
          an ubuntu or redhat thing. Its a linux thing. Whether
          your using ubuntu or redhat and we should support
          Linux as Redhat supports it... can you post your fstab
          configuration here? :)
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 16, 2008
            On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 02:42:29AM -0800, <papercodes/> wrote:
            > with all due respect, mounting a drive in fstab is not
            > an ubuntu or redhat thing. Its a linux thing. Whether
            > your using ubuntu or redhat and we should support
            > Linux as Redhat supports it... can you post your fstab
            > configuration here? :)

            As you gave no context for your post, I'm guessing it's about my comment
            that as the OP is posting about Ubuntu, a RedHat list isn't the best
            place.

            You're correct that /etc/fstab is a Linux (and other Unix and Unix-like
            systems) thing. My point was that a), as you post, he should post his
            /etc/fstab, and b) some particular thing wasn't mounting, and that could
            be some sort of Ubuntu bug. I don't remember the original post well
            enough to be able to say what wasn't getting mounted, but for example,
            if it was RH or Fedora, it might be an SELinux issue. Ubuntu has
            apparmor, and perhaps it's some known Ubuntu thing with apparmor.

            For example, if you post on this list that Samba isn't working, I can
            say the three most common RH and Fedora issues with a newcomer and samba
            are SELinux, the default firewall and not starting nmb. With Ubuntu, I
            have no idea.

            Again, it would help, and no doubt help anyone else interested in the
            thread, if you posted at least enough context for someone to know what
            is being discussed.

            Xander: I still don't know why we had to come here to look up
            information on a killer snot monster.
            Giles: Because it's a killer snot monster from outer space. ...I
            did not say that.
          • satheesh ma
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 19, 2008
              Hi,

              I think that eventhough its related with Ubuntu,the basic file structure for all linux kernal is same.So this ? can be answered from this group also.Is it correct?

              Regards,
              M.Satheesh.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 19, 2008
                On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 01:02:58AM -0800, satheesh ma wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > I think that eventhough its related with Ubuntu,the basic file structure for all linux kernal is same.So this ? can be answered from this group also.Is it correct?
                >
                > Regards,
                > M.Satheesh.

                I must have not been clear in my post as it seems some people have
                misunderstood.

                I didn't mean that a Ubuntu user is forbidden to post here. My point
                was that if it wasn't in fstab, which the OP (original poster) said was
                correct, it might be an Ubuntu issue.

                For example, if I posted on an Ubuntu forum about a problem with Fedora
                wireless, I might get no response as it's working for Ubuntu. However,
                many Fedora users discovered that a bug in the order of startup scripts
                was breaking wireless networking.

                I've seen Windows questions posted on Linux forums, often by long time
                members who simply trust the knowledge of the others on the forum. It's
                not a problem, or necessarily a bad thing to post a question about
                Ubuntu here--it's simply that it's quite possible it's an Ubuntu only
                issue, known by Ubuntu users.

                Willow: Nervous?
                Xander: No way. I'm full of that good old kamikazee spirit.
                Giles: Xander, just because this is never going to work, there's no
                need to be negative.