Re: DNS configuration

  • rh.maverick
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 12, 2008
      [ Thumbspeak turned into real words. - Moderator ]

      hi
      Check if you have also installed the package "caching-nameserver".
      Can you write to us in detail what is the error you are getting?
    • ganesh.patil30
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 13, 2008
        Dear Viswanath,

        There is no cachenameserver rpm installed that's why you are not getting
        named.conf and regarding files. Once you install this RPM you will
        get the required files then you can configure forward and reverse zone
        as per
        your requirement.

        Regards,
        Ganesh

        --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "visu_kvg" <visu_kvg@...> wrote:

        > Hai,
        > This is viswanath.
        > I am getting problems in configuring the DNS on RHEL 5 please help me.
        >

        > Bai.
        > viswanath

      • ganesh.patil30
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 15, 2008
          Dear Himagiri,

          For named.conf you have to installed cachenameserver rpm. You will
          get this in your OS cd.

          For accessing FTP site i don't think u require DNS.

          Regards,
          Ganesh

          --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Munduri Himagiri <himagiri_munduri@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Friendz ,
          >
          > After installing the bind packages also i am not getting the
          sample file named.conf.

          > if i run the command rpm -q bind... its showing that the packages
          are not installed. but i installed all the packages.. please help me
          out...

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 15, 2008
            On 15Jan2008 12:27, ganesh.patil30 <ganesh.patil30@...> wrote:
            | For named.conf you have to installed cachenameserver rpm. You will
            | get this in your OS cd.
            |
            | For accessing FTP site i don't think u require DNS.

            You don't need it for access, but you generally need it to take the FTP
            server name and convert it into an address, so that you know _what_ to
            access. That's what DNS is for, after all.

            And Ganesh? Don't top-post! Did you not read the introductory material
            for this group?
            --
            Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
            http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

            My favorite cheating incident actually happened to a friend of mine,
            who confronted a copier with his misdeeds, after class. The student's
            response was something like: ``But I work for [US government agency],
            and we *always* do that!''
            - Howard E. Motteler <motteler@...>