Re: DNS configuration

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 12, 2008
      On 12Jan2008 20:34, Eldo joseph <eldo5@...> wrote:
      | The Dns can be installed from tar ball also. You can
      | download the tar ball from the following location.
      | http://site.n.ml.org/download/20050310000000/bind/bind-9.2.3.tar

      It's probably better to suggest downloads from the bind home page:

      http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/index.php

      There might be _anything_ in the tarball you suggest, including a
      modified/hacked bind!
      --
      Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
      http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

      I am a Bear of Very Little Brain and long words Bother Me.
      - Winnie-the-Pooh
    • rh.maverick
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 12, 2008
        [ Thumbspeak turned into real words. - Moderator ]

        hi
        Check if you have also installed the package "caching-nameserver".
        Can you write to us in detail what is the error you are getting?
      • ganesh.patil30
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 13, 2008
          Dear Viswanath,

          There is no cachenameserver rpm installed that's why you are not getting
          named.conf and regarding files. Once you install this RPM you will
          get the required files then you can configure forward and reverse zone
          as per
          your requirement.

          Regards,
          Ganesh

          --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "visu_kvg" <visu_kvg@...> wrote:

          > Hai,
          > This is viswanath.
          > I am getting problems in configuring the DNS on RHEL 5 please help me.
          >

          > Bai.
          > viswanath

        • ganesh.patil30
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 15, 2008
            Dear Himagiri,

            For named.conf you have to installed cachenameserver rpm. You will
            get this in your OS cd.

            For accessing FTP site i don't think u require DNS.

            Regards,
            Ganesh

            --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Munduri Himagiri <himagiri_munduri@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Friendz ,
            >
            > After installing the bind packages also i am not getting the
            sample file named.conf.

            > if i run the command rpm -q bind... its showing that the packages
            are not installed. but i installed all the packages.. please help me
            out...

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 15, 2008
              On 15Jan2008 12:27, ganesh.patil30 <ganesh.patil30@...> wrote:
              | For named.conf you have to installed cachenameserver rpm. You will
              | get this in your OS cd.
              |
              | For accessing FTP site i don't think u require DNS.

              You don't need it for access, but you generally need it to take the FTP
              server name and convert it into an address, so that you know _what_ to
              access. That's what DNS is for, after all.

              And Ganesh? Don't top-post! Did you not read the introductory material
              for this group?
              --
              Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
              http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

              My favorite cheating incident actually happened to a friend of mine,
              who confronted a copier with his misdeeds, after class. The student's
              response was something like: ``But I work for [US government agency],
              and we *always* do that!''
              - Howard E. Motteler <motteler@...>