Hi again

  • Laura Goodwin
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 1999
      OK, it seems that I need to upgrade to get support for my hardware. I
      want to apply the new kernal and the latest Xfree86, but of course it's
      not obvious how to do this. Since I'm not fully operational under Linux
      yet, I'll be downloading via win98, natch.

      I suppose I'll set my video to something really conservative in the
      meantime.

      Any tips? Thanks a bunch

      Laura
    • M & D Kelly
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 1999
        Hi Laura,

        Something you might want to try before doing a kernel & full Xfree86
        upgrade, neither of which are easy to the uninitiated. And you can do all
        this from the command line.

        Download the latest SVGA server (only need one file), copy it to your /tmp
        directory & decompress it.

        Change to your /usr/X11R6/bin directory & type the following:

        mv XF86_SVGA XF86_SVGA.bak
        cp /tmp/XF86_SVGA .

        The first line creates a backup of your current server, the second inserts
        the new one.
        NOTE THE PERIOD AT THE END OF THE SECOND LINE - that specifies the current
        directory (in this case /usr/X11R6/bin)

        Run Xconfigurator & use the SVGA server, which "should" support your chip.

        Hope this helps,

        Rooster

        > OK, it seems that I need to upgrade to get support for my hardware. I
        > want to apply the new kernal and the latest Xfree86, but of course it's
        > not obvious how to do this. Since I'm not fully operational under Linux
        > yet, I'll be downloading via win98, natch.
        >
        > I suppose I'll set my video to something really conservative in the
        > meantime.
        >
        > Any tips? Thanks a bunch
        >

        > Laura

      • Laura Goodwin
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 1999
          M & D Kelly wrote:

          > Hi Laura,
          >
          > Something you might want to try before doing a kernel & full Xfree86
          > upgrade, neither of which are easy to the uninitiated. And you can do all
          > this from the command line.
          >
          > Download the latest SVGA server (only need one file), copy it to your /tmp
          > directory & decompress it.

          (Etc.)

          Thanks very much! :) That's the kind of savvy you can't get from the
          frigging manuals!

          --
          Laura Goodwin

          Dinosaurs neutered, barrooms cleared. Slaves wanted.
          Where there's a whip, there's a way!
        • M & D Kelly
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 1999
            As long as it works.........................