hi

  • dalwinder
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 16, 2007
      i want to configure dns can anyone help me
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 16, 2007
        dalwinder wrote:

        > i want to configure dns can anyone help me

        Google it, there is tons of great information at all levels on internet
        for DNS on Linux.
      • dalwinder
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 20, 2007
          --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Dan <hyattdj@...> wrote:

          > dalwinder wrote:
          > >
          > > i want to configure dns can anyone help me
          > >

          > Google it, there is tons of great information at all levels on
          internet
          > for DNS on Linux.

          i want to configure with closed network with internal primary dns
          server and one secondry server ..... having 50 host...

          just i want cashing implemented and but i don't have much
          understanding of resorce record mean to say structring the zone
          files......
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 20, 2007
            dalwinder wrote:

            > > dalwinder wrote:
            > > >
            > > > i want to configure dns can anyone help me
            > > >

            > > Google it, there is tons of great information at all levels on
            > internet
            > > for DNS on Linux.

            > i want to configure with closed network with internal primary dns
            > server and one secondry server ..... having 50 host...
            >
            > just i want cashing implemented and but i don't have much
            > understanding of resorce record mean to say structring the zone
            > files...........
            >
            > .

            As I said Google it
            All your information for this topic is out there. go to your google
            search engine and start reading.
            go to wikipedia and look up resource record (helps if you spell it right).
            Internet search is your friend

            > .

          • vijay sridhar
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 24, 2008
              Dear All,

              how to check when the O/S users (other than default)  have been created in Linux server .,

              how to check when the Linux o/s is installed.

              Regards

              S.Vijay

              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 24, 2008
                On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 01:16:48AM +0530, vijay sridhar wrote:
                > Dear All,
                >
                > how to check when the O/S users (other than default)  have been created in Linux server .,
                >
                > how to check when the Linux o/s is installed.

                These sound like homework questions. Have you researched it at all?

                Hint: when a user is created, some directories for the user are also
                created.

                As to how to tell if a Linux system is intalled--booting it up and
                looking at the screen as it boots is often helpful.

                We don't mind homework questions per se, but it's better if you admit it
                up front, and try to do a bit of research on your own. I suspect that
                the answers to these questions are very right in whatever lesson you
                covered.

                One trouble with an answer I give you--all sarcasm aside--is that there
                is probably a "textbook" answer that they want. For example, I have no
                idea what they're looking for when they ask how to tell a Linux system
                is installed, and frankly, if I don't know what's installed on a
                machine, and I'm just looking at the hardware, and have no way of
                guessing the machine's name, IP or anything else, all I can think of
                doing is either removing a hard drive and mounting it on another machine
                to look, or the simpler way of booting it and seeing what shows up on
                the screen.

                Anya: I know what broke up him and Cordelia, you know. It was you!
                And your lips!
                Willow: No, it was not! Well, yes it was so, but... that was a
                long time ago, do you think I'd do that again?
                Anya: Why not?
                Willow: Hello? Gay now!
              • Jeff Lane
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 27, 2008
                  On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                  > One trouble with an answer I give you--all sarcasm aside--is that there
                  > is probably a "textbook" answer that they want. For example, I have no
                  > idea what they're looking for when they ask how to tell a Linux system
                  > is installed, and frankly, if I don't know what's installed on a

                  Meh... this is why I like to spout out incorrect answers from time to
                  time. I used to do that back in high school too... whenever I caught
                  someone reading off my test paper, I would go through and mark about
                  40-50% of the questions with incorrect answers... then in the 5
                  mintues before time was up, I'd go back and change them to the correct
                  answers... heh... I made some people very upset by doing that, but
                  serves them right.

                  In any case, I understand that this group is geared toward new users,
                  but I agree with you completely. So as someone who has been here for
                  a good while, and someone who does try to be helpful from time to time
                  by answering questions and doing as much as I can to help the newbies
                  out, I say this:

                  IF YOU WANT ME/US TO ANSWER YOUR HOMEWORK OR SCHOOLWORK, YOU NEED TO
                  TELL US THAT YOUR QUESTIONS ARE FROM HOMEWORK OR SCHOOLWORK.

                  then again, I am from the old school where you'd get flamed quickly
                  and severely if you didn't bother doing a bit of research on your own
                  first, and I firmly believe that's the right way to go about it. If
                  you can't find an answer on your own, then ask, and tell me how you
                  tried to find the answer, where you looked, and what you were looking
                  for. Otherwise, I have work to do and can't take time doing someone
                  elses homework for them ;-)

                  So back to Linux for a bit... You know what really sucks? (Non-Red
                  Hat content) I am running Ubuntu Gutsy on my thinkpad at work. I also
                  run FF3. I forgot about telling Apt to ignore FF when doing
                  updates... so when I got in this morning, after doing updates all
                  weekend, I found a nice shiney FF2 browser staring at me... sigh...

                  I've got a question of my own, but I'll open a different thread for that one ;-)

                  Cheers
                  Jeff

                  --
                  ------------------> Jeffrey Lane - W4KDH <-------------------
                  www.jefflane.org

                  The internet has no government, no constitution, no laws, no
                  rights, no police, no courts. Don't talk about fairness or
                  innocence, and don't talk about what should be done. Instead,
                  talk about what is being done and what will be done by the
                  amorphous unreachable undefinable blob called "the internet
                  user base." -Paul Vixie
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 27, 2008
                    On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:29:01AM -0400, Jeff Lane wrote:
                    > On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > So back to Linux for a bit... You know what really sucks? (Non-Red
                    > Hat content) I am running Ubuntu Gutsy on my thinkpad at work. I also
                    > run FF3. I forgot about telling Apt to ignore FF when doing
                    > updates... so when I got in this morning, after doing updates all
                    > weekend, I found a nice shiney FF2 browser staring at me... sigh...

                    I'm assuming there's a reason for Gutsy. At any rate, perhaps in a mood
                    to imitate Fedora, the latest Intrepid (almost ready to be the release)
                    broke the ath5k module which provides out of the box support for the
                    common AR5007EG card--used in the earlier ASUS eee pcs and the Aspire
                    One. (It's fixed with a backports-module, but anyway....)

                    Speaking of Fedora, someone mentioned on the testing list how FreeCell,
                    if they're doing yum updates, freezes the machine completely so that
                    they have to do a hard reboot. It was difficult to resist posting back
                    (I try to be professional on that list) Hrrm, perhaps it's a feature not
                    a bug, in an effort to give the new user the same experience that they
                    can have on MS Windows. But, I digress, of course.

                    Xander: The quick draw is about more than speed. It's also
                    about pointing the stake the right way. And there can be splinter
                    issues.
                  • Jeff Lane
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 27, 2008
                      On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                      > I'm assuming there's a reason for Gutsy. At any rate, perhaps in a mood
                      > to imitate Fedora, the latest Intrepid (almost ready to be the release)
                      > broke the ath5k module which provides out of the box support for the
                      > common AR5007EG card--used in the earlier ASUS eee pcs and the Aspire
                      > One. (It's fixed with a backports-module, but anyway....)

                      Yeah... one of the internal linux client setups uses Gutsy... I could
                      probably upgrade, but then I'd have to reinstall all the work-specific
                      stuff because the update manager wants to remove all non-Ubuntu
                      packages...

                      The Fedora 10 based setup seems to work well though (as does Fedora 9)
                      but I wanted to use something other than a Red Hat based setup for a
                      while, and it's been pretty nice so far.

                      Besides, I do enough Red Hat during the week that I don't want to use
                      it 100% of the time... and in any case, RH is more fun on an 8-node w/
                      512GB ram :-)
                    • Dan
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 27, 2008
                        Boot the computer
                        Go to a command line and type 'uname'
                        If it knows not what you are doing it is windblows. If it answers Linux
                        with a lot of other information it is Linux.

                        If it has any viruses then it is NOT RedHat Linux
                        If it has viable security, then it is RedHat Linux
                        If the certified system administrator had to understand the operating
                        system rather then memorize the questions and answers it is linux.

                        If it requires a reboot everytime to do anything to it, it is windows.
                        If it has an uptime of 6 months or more, it is certainly UNIX.