Re: /etc/fstab problem

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2007
      On 30Jan2007 09:01, Abhijit Chakraborty <achak01@...> wrote:
      | I have finally rescued the system. What i did is as follows
      |
      | 1) I went for normal installation.
      | 2) When it came to the partitioning part , I just retained the old
      | partitions without formatting them. it worked. And this is true. In
      | maintainance mode u can see many things which u can't see in resue mode .
      | may be its due to the fact that it is mounted under /mny/sysimage as a
      | result it hides many files(I may be wrong also. Please correct me if i am
      | wrong).

      One thing you can do in rescue mode that perhaps was not mentioned.

      In theory, all the partitions are mounted under /mnt/sysimage/...
      If rescue mode got them all right (and filesystem partitions have labels,
      so it is possible, maybe, without the fstab - I do not know) then you
      can issue the command:

      chroot /mnt/sysimage

      That will start a new shell using /mnt/sysimage as "/", and the system
      will appear more "normal" to that shell. Exiting the shell returns you
      to the rescue shell which is still as it was before the chroot.

      Cheers,
      --
      Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
      http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

      DON'T DRINK SOAP! DILUTE DILUTE! OK!
      - on the label of Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap