How can i setup my linmodem : Agere System PCI Soft Modem

  • masood
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30 4:33 PM
      Hello everybody ;
      I can't setup my modem in redhat linux 2.6.x Kernel.
      Agere System PCI Soft Modem .
      please don't tell me go to www.linmodems.org ,
      i visit that site but ... nothing.
      Please tell me how can i setup my internal modem ,
      Thanks , Masood.
    • Godwin Stewart

        On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:33:47 -0000, "masood"
        <masood_digital2000@...> wrote:

        > Please tell me how can i setup my internal modem ,

        By throwing it away and getting a real modem.

        Canned response:

        What you have is *not* a modem, regardless of what the vendor will say
        or what's written on the box or in the manual. It's a device known as a
        "WinModem".

        A WinModem is basically a modem which has been stripped of its key
        components. In actual fact, what you have is a crappy sound card with a
        phone jack on it. The *Windows* drivers supplied with it get your main
        processor to do the job that the other components, were they present,
        should be doing. Remember that a couple of bucks saved on hardware
        multiplied by the number of units sold means huge savings which easily
        pay for the development of the Windows drivers.

        Since this job includes real-time signal analysis, the process doing it
        is time-critical. This adds an extra load on your processor, which
        already has enough to do. The end result is a device which is only
        usable in Windows, which is going to be much more sensitive to the
        quality of your phone line and the audio signal being transmitted than
        a hardware modem would be, and which can very easily bring the
        operating system down in the event of a signal being particularly
        difficult to analyse.

        Some intrepid Linux device driver developers have managed to produce
        Linux drivers for these devices (I refrain from calling them "modems"
        because they're not doing any signal modulation/demodulation, the
        system CPU is doing that) but they're working blindfolded.
        Manufacturers don't generally disclose the technical specifications of
        their devices, probably so that the public at large can't see how
        crufty they are, so the Linux developers are relying on guesswork and
        the limited official information they have. Reverse engineering of the
        Windows drivers is forbidden, so they can't analyse what's already been
        done and simply port it to Linux. See http://www.linmodems.org

        I strongly advise you to pull this useless piece of trash out of your
        computer and go and get a *real* modem which has all of its components
        and which doesn't require any drivers to get the host computer to do
        its job.

        If it has to be an internal modem, make it an ISA card. Of course, make
        sure your mobo has a free ISA slot (many recent mobos only have PCI and
        AGP slots). If external, get a serial connection modem because USB
        modems are more often than not Winmodems too.

        - --
        G. Stewart
        gstewart@...