eMachine W3502

  • joegumbosky
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2006
      Hi,

      I'm looking for any (at this point) linux distro that will go on
      my eMachine W3502. I've been searching around a bit through Yahoo!
      and Google, as well as experimenting on my own, but I haven't been
      able to get anything to work here. I did get SuSE 10.0 boxed Ed to go
      on, but, I cannot get it to load KDE. It just hangs. It even hangs
      when booting into Safe Mode.

      Ubuntu's graphics are all out of bounds, making installation
      impossible. It doesn't matter if it's 32 or 64 bit.

      Mepis has no sound. ALSA refuses to start because it cannot
      find my device.

      Xandros OS3 Deluxe just hangs interminably during installation
      regardless of which install option I choose.

      The best luck I've had by far has been with the latest version of
      Knoppix... the sound works perfectly, graphics are great... it's
      wonderful. But, it will not install. It complains about my
      filesystem. It either wants to take over my whole disk (I'm dual
      boooting with Windows), or it refuses. I don't even care if it loads
      GrUB or LiLO... I can use Partition Magic / Boot Magic to load it.

      Has anyone here had good luck installing any version of Linux on
      a system with:

      Intel D101GCC mobo
      EM64T processor
      ATI Radeon 200 Xpress graphics card

      I would be perfectly happy to pay for a version that works on this.

      Thanks,
      -Joe
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2006
        On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 02:27:44AM +0000, joegumbosky wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm looking for any (at this point) linux distro that will go on
        > my eMachine W3502.
        >
        > The best luck I've had by far has been with the latest version of
        > Knoppix... the sound works perfectly, graphics are great... it's
        > wonderful. But, it will not install. It complains about my
        > filesystem. It either wants to take over my whole disk (I'm dual
        > boooting with Windows), or it refuses. I don't even care if it loads
        > GrUB or LiLO... I can use Partition Magic / Boot Magic to load it.

        Although I haven't used it, there is Morphix at http://www.morphix.org
        which is based on Knoppix but has an installer.

        You can dig around www.distrowatch.com, which you have probably been
        doing, and just check some of the ones that end in ix--they're often
        based on Knoppix.

        Y'know, I think that people forget how Knoppix raised the bar with its
        easy to use LiveCD. Now, there are hundreds of them, but they were
        probably the first to do it so well.

        You might try SLAX as well, a live CD based on Slackware. I remember
        trying to show someone about Linux, Knoppix wouldn't boot on their
        machine, but SLAX would. (An old Toshiba laptop.)

        Lastly, there is Vector. It is actually aimed at older hardware. It's
        based on Slackware, where the ones you mention, aside from SuSE are
        based on Debian.

        It has some friendly forums too. (The others do as well, but I have a
        fondness, as far as the JustWorks(TM) distros for Vector.

        Lastly, just for fun and games, you might try PCBSD. It's BSD not
        Linux, which means its hardware and desktop support are probably a bit
        behind, still it might be worth a shot. Part of this, of course,
        depends upon your needs, if you're looking for (once you get it
        installed, of course) :) an easy to use Windows replacement, or have
        more of an interest in getting under the hood so to speak and learning
        about the operating system. If that's the case, and you specifically
        want to learn about Linux rather than FreeBSD, PCBSD is only a last
        resort.

        Of course, each distribution has its own learning curve as well. That
        is, even if you Know Linux(TM) and are a RedHat master, you have to
        learn some new things if you switch to Slackware, Arch, or one of the
        Debian based distributions. They all have their own quirks to learn.
        (There is less of a learning curve between two distros that have
        something in common--for example, if you mastered Ubuntu's tools,
        including apt-get, that will serve you with Mepis and Debian itself.

        Anyway, good luck. It can be frustrating.

        Buffy: Could I be seeing Billy's asteroid body?
        Giles: Astral body, and I don't know.
      • joegum@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 2006
          Hi Scott!

          I tried Morphix with two issues...

          It identifies my desktop as a laptop with a warning on the screen that my battery is down to 0%.

          Also, no sound.

          I tried Santa Fe Linux... no sound.

          Freesbie.... no sound, it won't shut down.

          I played around with Slackware once on a different machine, but it was a bit complicated for me. It seemed that /home, /root, /bin, etc/ and so on each wanted their own partitions.

          I tried FC5 DVD i386-64 today, but the video was all out of hand.

          I think that what I need isn't somethng tried and true, but something cutting edge. I thibnk that my Intel D101GCC mobo is really new. I read at Intel's web-site that Mandriva 2006 should work, but that the special drivers will need to be installed from Intel first. I'm not at all sure that I should buy a copy of Mandriva and then hope can nstall Intel's drivers after the fact without my being able to see what's going on my monitor.

          What I'm hoping for is that the latest Linux kernel will include support for this mobo and video and sound setup. Is there a version of Linux that has the rep of having the very latest kernel, but is usable by someone comforable in Linux, but not an arch guru?

          Thank you for trying to help, Scott.

          -Joe

          From: Scott <scottro@...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 28, 2006
            Scott, Thank you You are right about SLAX. I tried and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately, the creator of SLAX doesn't recommend installing it. But, since he does recommend Slackware, I'v e downoaded the isos and I'll give it a try later.
            -Joe

          • joegumbosky
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 28, 2006
              For any other eMachine W3502 users, Slackware 10.2 installed with two
              errors in /var/mount/slackware/d/... But, it loaded, LILO worked in
              the MBR, all seems perfect with one exception.

              No sound.

              In control Center > Sound System, I have "Enable sound system"
              checked. Hardware is "Autodetect." the aRts Control Tool reacts
              strongly when I click TEST SOUND. The spewakers are turned on. But,
              no sound actrually comes out of the speakers, even thought turned up full.

              -Joe
            • joegum@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 28, 2006
                From: "joegumbosky" <joegum@...>
                > For any other eMachine W3502 users, Slackware 10.2 installed with two
                > errors in /var/mount/slackware/d/... But, it loaded, LILO worked in
                > the MBR, all seems perfect with one exception.
                >
                > No sound.

                MDM.... My Dumb Mistake...

                I have sound. I simply had it muted elsewhere.

                Now, I just need to

                configure my printer

                configure my scanner

                figure out how to configure my external hd and other disks

                all of which I should be able t figure out from available documentation.

                Thank you and regards,
                -Joe G