Hi everybody (Re: Welcome to redhat@onelist.com)

  • Laura Goodwin
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 1999
      redhat-owner@onelist.com wrote:

      If you have any problems or queries regarding Red Hat Linux, post it to the list

      > and there will always be someone who can answer your question!

      Wow, I hope that's true. I have been a Windows user all my computing life, although
      I also experimented with BeOS. I work with computers professionally, and they are
      also my hobby. I built the 'puter I'm using now, for example. I don't program, but
      I did teach myself HTML. I taught myself most of what I know, and I'm not done
      yet. :)

      I bought a copy of REDHAT 5.2 at a discount store for 5 bucks, and I'd like to
      install it but I'm having a lot of problems. I am dual-booting with Win98 as my
      primary/default. I managed to create a native Linux partition and swap file, then
      got stuck. The whole install process is rather boggling. I have a motherboard
      manual and even it doesn't tell me what Linux wants to know about my onboard vid,
      for example. Holy cow! That's pretty discouraging!

      I got as far as inputting a root password, and for some reason it wouldn't let me
      type into the field to set the password. I had been using my keyboard through the
      whole install, and even then could tab around, even back to where it would let me
      retype earlier input. Well, I threw in the towel. I mean, now what!? As you can
      see, my keyboard works.

      Laura Goodwin
    • Brandon Penglase
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 1999
        Did you put a swap file on?? if not, you'll need to fo that, I would look on
        the mobo to see what type of Chip you have for the video then get close to
        the best chose in the install. Hope this helps.
        > If you have any problems or queries regarding Red Hat Linux, post it to
        the list

        > > and there will always be someone who can answer your question!
        >
        > Wow, I hope that's true. I have been a Windows user all my computing life,
        although
        > I also experimented with BeOS. I work with computers professionally, and
        they are
        > also my hobby. I built the 'puter I'm using now, for example. I don't
        program, but
        > I did teach myself HTML. I taught myself most of what I know, and I'm not
        done
        > yet. :)
        >
        > I bought a copy of REDHAT 5.2 at a discount store for 5 bucks, and I'd
        like to
        > install it but I'm having a lot of problems. I am dual-booting with Win98
        as my
        > primary/default. I managed to create a native Linux partition and swap
        file, then
        > got stuck. The whole install process is rather boggling. I have a
        motherboard
        > manual and even it doesn't tell me what Linux wants to know about my
        onboard vid,
        > for example. Holy cow! That's pretty discouraging!
        >
        > I got as far as inputting a root password, and for some reason it wouldn't
        let me
        > type into the field to set the password. I had been using my keyboard
        through the
        > whole install, and even then could tab around, even back to where it would
        let me
        > retype earlier input. Well, I threw in the towel. I mean, now what!? As
        you can
        > see, my keyboard works.
        >

        > Laura Goodwin

      • Rhys
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 1999
          Hi Laura -

          You can always try using the superprobe in linux to see what you get for
          video chipsets - frequently chipsets and manufacturers don't match up quite
          the way it looks like they do from what the brand name or manual says. I
          also believe there is a page on www.redhat.com that will tell you about
          different types of hardware.

          And if windows is driving you nuts, download and install doxunix on it,
          download some power toys and nifty icons and play with the wallpaper til
          you can get the linux problem solved - always fun to see what you can do
          with an OS, even a micro$haft one.

          Hope this helps a bit.

          Cheers,
          Rhys

          >> Wow, I hope that's true. I have been a Windows user all my computing life,
          >although
          >> I also experimented with BeOS. I work with computers professionally, and
          >they are
          >> also my hobby. I built the 'puter I'm using now, for example. I don't
          >program, but
          >> I did teach myself HTML. I taught myself most of what I know, and I'm not
          >done
          >> yet. :)
          >>
          >> I bought a copy of REDHAT 5.2 at a discount store for 5 bucks, and I'd
          >like to
          >> install it but I'm having a lot of problems. I am dual-booting with Win98
          >as my
          >> primary/default. I managed to create a native Linux partition and swap
          >file, then
          >> got stuck. The whole install process is rather boggling. I have a
          >motherboard
          >> manual and even it doesn't tell me what Linux wants to know about my
          >onboard vid,
          >> for example. Holy cow! That's pretty discouraging!
          >>
          >> I got as far as inputting a root password, and for some reason it wouldn't
          >let me
          >> type into the field to set the password. I had been using my keyboard
          >through the
          >> whole install, and even then could tab around, even back to where it would
          >let me
          >> retype earlier input. Well, I threw in the towel. I mean, now what!? As
          >you can
          >> see, my keyboard works.
          >>

          >> Laura Goodwin

        • Paul Kallstrom
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 1999
            On 31-Oct-99 Laura Goodwin wrote:
            > From: Laura Goodwin <lalaura@...>
            >
            > redhat-owner@onelist.com wrote:
            >
            > If you have any problems or queries regarding Red Hat Linux, post it to the
            > list
            >
            >> and there will always be someone who can answer your question!
            >
            > Wow, I hope that's true. I have been a Windows user all my computing life,
            > although
            > I also experimented with BeOS. I work with computers professionally, and
            > they are
            > also my hobby. I built the 'puter I'm using now, for example. I don't
            > program, but
            > I did teach myself HTML. I taught myself most of what I know, and I'm not
            > done
            > yet. :)

            Welcome! The moment that we're done learning, we're dead.

            > I bought a copy of REDHAT 5.2 at a discount store for 5 bucks, and I'd like
            > install it but I'm having a lot of problems. I am dual-booting with Win98 as
            > my
            > primary/default. I managed to create a native Linux partition and swap file,
            > then
            > got stuck. The whole install process is rather boggling. I have a
            > motherboard
            > manual and even it doesn't tell me what Linux wants to know about my onboard
            > vid,
            > for example. Holy cow! That's pretty discouraging!

            First thing... Relax! You have another local resource available for hardware
            info,(Win98). Print out the system properties list. It'll have every bit of
            info required by linux, and then some.

            The only difficulty I see, is that the version of XFree86 that comes with 5.2
            may not support your video chip. You may need to work in console mode for a
            while, to download the latest version of XFree, via Redhat update RPMs for 5.2.
            Video chips are always on the move, and drivers for linux lag a little behind,
            as linux is generally not commercially supported.

            > I got as far as inputting a root password, and for some reason it wouldn't
            > let me
            > type into the field to set the password. I had been using my keyboard
            > through the
            > whole install, and even then could tab around, even back to where it would
            > let me
            > retype earlier input. Well, I threw in the towel. I mean, now what!? As
            > you can
            > see, my keyboard works.

            The entry fields for the root password stay entirely blank. You must trust your
            typing. Tab to the first, enter the password, then tab to the second and repeat
            it. It'll work, I promise.

            > Laura Goodwin

            Good Luck! Have Fun!

            Paul

            ----------------------------------
            E-Mail: Paul Kallstrom <paul@...>
            Date: 31-Oct-99
            Time: 11:26:08

            RedHat 6.1 and XFMail ***WOW***
            ----------------------------------

            Trekism: It is necessary to have purpose.
            -- Alice #1, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3
          • Laura Goodwin
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
              Paul Kallstrom wrote:

              > The entry fields for the root password stay entirely blank. You must trust your
              > typing. Tab to the first, enter the password, then tab to the second and repeat
              > it. It'll work

              OK, but isn't this one of those things like ~hot dogs sell in packs of
              ten, and buns sell in packs of eight~!? WHY is it like that!? That's
              just sheer ornery cussedness, IMHO! :)

              --
              Laura Goodwin

              Dinosaurs neutered, barrooms cleared. Slaves wanted.
              Where there's a whip, there's a way!