Re: [redhat] ntfs access on linux redhat EL4

  • ed
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 24, 2006
      On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 23:46:42 +0530
      "Aashu Jaidka" <aashu.jaidka@...> wrote:

      > plz can any one tell me how to mount ntfs partition on
      > linux..........................................
      >
      > i m using Linux redhat Enterprise 4.
      > plz tell me the step.......if only read only is
      > possioble it will be sufficient for me.

      There is not just one step. First you must recompile the kernel with
      NTFS abilities if it does not already exist in your kernel.

      Then you must install the kernel.

      Then reboot.

      Then load the module.

      Then try and mount the file system.

      If the volume was created with NT >= 5 (Windows 2000) then you cannot
      write the volume, even with write support, it just isn't possible if
      the change alters the length of the file. So why bother? Just get
      another disk, format it as FAT and copy the files to it using Windows,
      then use that as your work disk. Don't bother wasting your time with
      it. Or petition that MS make the spec open.

      --
      Regards, Ed :: http://www.usenix.org.uk
      proud java person
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 24, 2006
        [ Top post fixed. Do you people NEVER read the documents sent when you
        join the list? Or are you just very lazy? - Moderator
        ]

        On 6/23/06, Aashu Jaidka <aashu.jaidka@...> wrote:
        > plz can any one tell me how to mount ntfs partition on
        > linux..........................................
        > i m using Linux redhat Enterprise 4.
        > plz tell me the step.......if only read only is possioble
        > it will be sufficient for me.

        There is a project on sourceforge that gives ntfs support software for Linux
        System. Download ntfs rpm for your kernel version and install it through rpm
        and you have ntfs supported kernel. Just that simple haan.
        http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net
        Regards,
        --
        --------------------------------
        Sohail Riaz
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 26, 2006
          ed <ed@...> wrote: On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 23:46:42 +0530

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 26, 2006
              On 26Jun2006 12:22, Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:
              | On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 01:55:18 -0700 (PDT), nilesh shirke
              | <nilesh_19832905@...> wrote:
              | > {nothing - simply a repeat of Ed's message}
              | What was the point of that?

              Mea culpa. The indenting was completely broken (Nilesh, what do you use
              for a mail program? Maybe the yahoo web interface is really awful?)
              and I took Ed's content to be Nilesh's content - and approved it:-(

              Sorry, all. Cheers,
              --
              Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
              http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

              Follow! But! Follow only if ye be men of valor, for the entrance to this cave
              is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it
              and lived! Bones of four fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So,
              brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no
              further, for death awaits you all with nasty big pointy teeth.
              - Tim The Enchanter