The penguin is mightier than the Nerd?

  • Andrew Pagin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
      I read a couple of days ago about an international project
      called One Laptop Per Child. This aims to provide every child in the
      developing world with a wind-up, wireless-internet enabled PC.
      Apparantly they have a working prototype which would be provided to
      interested governements as about $100 USD a piece. It seems almost
      every governement in the world is interested in the project to a
      greater or lesser extent.
      What makes this REALLY intersting is that they have chosen Linux
      (Fedora) as the operating system. Now aint that food for thought? In a
      few years time we could have litterally tens of millions of PC users
      to whom IT =LINUX, not Windows, countless thousands of young people
      basing business enterprises on Linux, thousands of new Linux
      developers. A whole new global mindset that doesn't include Microsoft.
      Call me an optomist and dreamer, but this could kill Microsoft stone
      dead.
    • ed
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
        On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 14:56:33 -0000
        "Andrew Pagin" <Andy.Pagin@...> wrote:

        > A whole new global mindset that doesn't include Microsoft. Call me
        > an optomist and dreamer, but this could kill Microsoft stone dead.

        I think the PCs that are not able to run Vista will open up a whole new
        bunch of linux desktop users that need beating with a LART stick.

        --
        Regards, Ed :: http://www.openbsdhacker.com
        proud bash hacker
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
          ed wrote:
          > On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 14:56:33 -0000
          > "Andrew Pagin" <Andy.Pagin@...> wrote:
          >
          >> A whole new global mindset that doesn't include Microsoft. Call me
          >> an optomist and dreamer, but this could kill Microsoft stone dead.
          >
          > I think the PCs that are not able to run Vista will open up a whole new
          > bunch of linux desktop users that need beating with a LART stick.

          And people who maintain that attitude will drive them back to Windows.

          --
          Thomas Hruska
          Shining Light Productions

          Home of BMP2AVI, Nuclear Vision, ProtoNova, and Win32 OpenSSL.
          http://www.slproweb.com/

          Ask me about discounts on any Shining Light Productions product!