Fedora Core 5

  • Allen D. Tate
    Message 1 of 4 , May 16 7:28 AM
      While this mailing list isn't exactly for Fedora I am still posing this
      question since Fedora is based on Redhat. :)

      If you've played with it, what are your thoughts on Fedora Core 5? How
      is it on ease of use and installation? Is it worth trying to setup for a
      new user that isn't really committed to Windows XP yet? Thanks in advance.
      --
      Allen D. Tate
      Head of Computer Services

      http://www.ohio.lib.in.us/ (Library Home Page)
      http://www.linuxinlibraries.com/ (Linux In Libraries)

      The views expressed in this message are not necessarily
      those of the Ohio Township Public Library System.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 16 7:44 AM
        On Tue, 16 May 2006 09:28:08 -0500, "Allen D. Tate"
        <atate@...> wrote:

        > While this mailing list isn't exactly for Fedora I am still posing
        > this question since Fedora is based on Redhat. :)

        Somebody hasn't been reading the group's home page in a while :)

        "Red Hat Linux, and its later incarnation, Fedora Core, is currently
        one of the most popular Linux distributions (or distros) for PCs and
        some high-end Unix machines......"

        So, you're not OT here at all.

        > If you've played with it, what are your thoughts on Fedora Core 5?
        > How is it on ease of use and installation?

        You'll get different responses from different people here.

        My own experience with it was rather negative. The kernel on the
        install disc wouldn't even boot on my laptop so the whole game was
        rather DOA.

        > Is it worth trying to setup for a new user that isn't really
        > committed to Windows XP yet?

        I'd recommend something that isn't quite so bleeding edge. Try FC4
        first of all (if, indeed, you're hell-bent on it being Fedora at all)
        and wait for things to mature a bit first.

        --
        G. Stewart
        gstewart@...
        Message 3 of 4 , May 16 7:27 PM
          Hi,

          As far as Fedora Core 5 is concerned I think a lot of areas are still
          needing improvements and I don't think it's the perfect distro for a
          newbie. Considering the installation procedure with the new interface.
          The most important step for any newbie is the partitioning and that in
          Fedora Core 5 is changed alot. Now you can give the installer the
          appropriate rights to choose the best partitioning for you without
          going for a manual partitioning but then it has some bugs which can
          cause you serious data loss if not done manual. I suggest everybody to
          go for manual partitioning. Then inside Fedora Core 5 they have
          removed the system-config-package command which was use to manage
          packages currently installed on system , instead of that they have
          provided with PIRU and one other software (don't know the name). Both
          of them require that you first connect to the internet.
          Next thing I disliked about FC-5 was that it needed a high RAM +
          processor. I use 256 MB with 2.0 Pentinum and I have no stasifactory
          performance with FC-5 hope the guys with 512 MB and more get the best
          of performance.
          Talking of the software pacakges GNOME 2.14 and KDE 3.5.1 are latest
          and FC-5 is among the few distro packaging them currently.
          But then all other packages are those old one packaged somewhat
          differently no bleeding edge kinda of thing (as we see in GENTOO etc..).
          I suggest you give FC-5 a try and then decide on your own whether you
          should continue with it.
          I personally am going to remove it and try my hands on OpenSuSe 10.1.
          It's good distro. And If you are a complete newbie then try hands on
          Ubuntu or kubuntu etc..

          Regards

          Message 4 of 4 , May 17 9:46 AM
            > Somebody hasn't been reading the group's home page in a while :)

            I never read the homepage. I post & reply directly from Mozilla
            Thunderbird. :)

            > I'd recommend something that isn't quite so bleeding edge.

            Thanks Godwin. After I posted the message I was reading an article on
            Slashdot that pretty well agrees with you.

            > As far as Fedora Core 5 is concerned I think a lot of areas
            > are still needing improvements and I don't think it's the
            > perfect distro for a newbie.

            Thanks Deependra!