Re: [redhat] Error

    Message 1 of 7 , May 15, 2006
      On Mon, 15 May 2006 22:59:00 +0530, "prasanth g"
      <munichlinux@...> wrote:

      > >Does the build process always bomb out at the same location, or if
      > >you start it again will it carry on for a while and then bomb out
      > >again?
      >
      > ya, location is different, each time... is there any chance for for
      > problem with my hda,

      First of all, please learn to trim irrelevant material out of your
      replies. There was no need to quote the entirety of my mail including
      the crud added by Yahoo!'s servers.

      With that out of the way, I'd say that the chances of your hard disk
      being involved in the problem are minimal. I have experienced problems
      similar to yours on a laptop of mine in which the cooling of the CPU is
      far from optimal. It'll run until it gets hot (especially when building
      something with g++, more so than with gcc), then bomb out with a SEGV. I
      can leave it to cool for a few minutes and continue the build, and
      it'll go on for a few minutes and throw another SEGV.

      I'd start there. Make sure there's sufficient airflow reaching the CPU,
      that the fins of the thermal dissipator are free of dust (this has much
      more impact than you'd think), that the contact between the CPU and the
      dissipator is acceptable (thermal paste, but not too much) and that the
      fan is running correctly.

      --
      G. Stewart
      gstewart@...