Re: [redhat] Help with Tar

  • suresh kumar
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21 5:14 AM
      Hi,
      > I have a Twiki setup
      > on a machine with it's file system full. Theres
      nothing more left to clean up, so i have to shift my
      entire Twiki data on some other machine. I have made
      the machine ready with Red hat 9 OS.

      If the Redhat 9 Machine is in network, Assign Ip
      Address and mount one of its filesystem in Twiki setup
      machine (Eg: make a directory in tmp as temp and mount
      the nfs filesystem on it) and copy the data...

      Regards,
      Suresh Kumar M.V.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21 4:37 PM
        On 21Apr2006 07:10, shail_linux <shail_linux@...> wrote:
        | PLs help me with a critical problem i am facing. I have a Twiki setup
        | on a machine with it's file system full. Theres nothing more left to
        | clean up, so i have to shift my entire Twiki data on some other
        | machine. I have made the machine ready with Red hat 9 OS. As the
        | filesystem on the original machine is full i cannot tar the data and
        | copy it to other machine. Can somebody suggest a way to do this. PLs
        | note there are lot of soft links.

        If you can ssh to the other machine, try this:

        cd /path/to/twiki/tree
        tar cf - . | ssh other_machine 'mkdir new_twiki && cd new_twiki && tar xvf -'

        That sends the tar file directly over the network without storing it
        locally.

        Cheers,
        --
        Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743