Re: [redhat] Help with Tar

    • suresh kumar
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21, 2006
        Hi,
        > I have a Twiki setup
        > on a machine with it's file system full. Theres
        nothing more left to clean up, so i have to shift my
        entire Twiki data on some other machine. I have made
        the machine ready with Red hat 9 OS.

        If the Redhat 9 Machine is in network, Assign Ip
        Address and mount one of its filesystem in Twiki setup
        machine (Eg: make a directory in tmp as temp and mount
        the nfs filesystem on it) and copy the data...

        Regards,
        Suresh Kumar M.V.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 21, 2006
          On 21Apr2006 07:10, shail_linux <shail_linux@...> wrote:
          | PLs help me with a critical problem i am facing. I have a Twiki setup
          | on a machine with it's file system full. Theres nothing more left to
          | clean up, so i have to shift my entire Twiki data on some other
          | machine. I have made the machine ready with Red hat 9 OS. As the
          | filesystem on the original machine is full i cannot tar the data and
          | copy it to other machine. Can somebody suggest a way to do this. PLs
          | note there are lot of soft links.

          If you can ssh to the other machine, try this:

          cd /path/to/twiki/tree
          tar cf - . | ssh other_machine 'mkdir new_twiki && cd new_twiki && tar xvf -'

          That sends the tar file directly over the network without storing it
          locally.

          Cheers,
          --
          Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743