How to delete partitions?

  • salmansiddiqui1234
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2006
      I have 4 formatted partitions in my system out of which I have to
      delete 2 so as to install linux. How to do that. Should I use disk
      druid to delete that while installation of linux. Will ths give me
      unformatted space to install linux.

      My partitions are c,d,e,f
      C: this has windows 98 installed

      D: this has Windows XP installed

      E: and F: have few files.

      If I delete C: will that cause any problems in booting process?
      because that is primary partition I think.

      FOR MODERATOR##################################################
      Thank You for that reply. I always wanted the internet community to
      follow this type of english but I think I myself got flowed in this
      flow.
      Thank You...
    • ibnu qoyyim
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2006
        So..you running windows OS right now?
        If you run windows operating system, there is a powerful tool that you can use to manipulate partitions (create new, delete, merge). it's name is Partition Magic.
        Even in the newest version of partition magic has included format type for linux partitions. my advice is use partition magic, and let it merge your E and F partition to be one and format it for linux use.

        Rgds,

        I.Q.Eljauzie
        Y!Eljauziah

        [ Quoted material at bottom removed. - Moderator ]
      • Mohit Gupta
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2006
          hi,

          First of all there is no need of putting the 2
          version of windows. Use either xp or win 98 whatever
          suits you according to your need.

          Secondly, by using disk druid you can delete your E: or
          F: partition that will give you the unpartitioned free
          space and linux OS will pick that space during
          installation.

          bye

          Regards
          Mohit Gupta

          [ Quoted material on bottom removed. "u" -> "you" fixed,
          and similar poor typing.
          - Moderator
          ]
        • sunil yoheeswaran
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2006
            hi
            while installing linux we need atleast 6gb.
            so it is better to delete D at the time of linux installation.
            then do the remainig things as usual
            in GRUB u have two option linux and windows.
            if u enter windows then u get two more option indicating xp and 98

            bye

            [ Quoted material at bottom removed. Remember people,
            conversations read from top to bottom, so your replies ought
            to appear _below_ the quoted material, not above.
            BTW, I'm not sure this message actually helps the
            original poster at all.
            - Moderator
            ]