OT? GPL code usage

  • Jeff Lane
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 18, 2005
      I have a question for any of you who do development using GPL code...

      I know that if I use GPL code in a program I create, I have to release
      my program under the GPL as well... What I am trying to figure out
      though, is how do you credit the authors if you only use a small
      portion of code?

      For example, if I write an app in C++ or Java or something like that,
      and use a class that was created by someone else and GPL'd, I can
      simple include that class and its source in my software packaging,
      along with the GPL and my source code as well.

      But how do you credit the original authors when you only take a
      function from a GPL program?

      For instance, say that I write an app, and in my app, there is a
      function or method called makeSound() that was taken from a different
      GPL app. Do I document the function with the original authors info,
      or include it in release notes, or what?

      Well, thougth I would ask.
      Cheers
      Jeff

      --
      ------------------> Jeffrey Lane - W4KDH <-------------------
      www.jefflane.org

      The internet has no government, no constitution, no laws, no
      rights, no police, no courts. Don't talk about fairness or
      innocence, and don't talk about what should be done. Instead,
      talk about what is being done and what will be done by the
      amorphous unreachable undefinable blob called "the internet
      user base." -Paul Vixie
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 19, 2005
        On 18Oct2005 13:03, Jeff Lane <sundowner225@...> wrote:
        | But how do you credit the original authors when you only take a
        | function from a GPL program?
        | For instance, say that I write an app, and in my app, there is a
        | function or method called makeSound() that was taken from a different
        | GPL app. Do I document the function with the original authors info,
        | or include it in release notes, or what?

        Personally I would credit the authors in the comment about the function
        and probably in the leading comment at the start of the source file eg
        "function foo() from package bar by joe and bill, included under GPLv2".

        If you've got a CREDITS file in your package, mention it there too.

        I guess I'd just put it in pertinent places: directly above the
        incorporated code, a mention at the top of the incorporating file, a
        mention where general credits are collated, if anywhere. Maybe in the
        doco if the code is a major component of some piece of functionality.
        i.e. where is is likely to be seen without getting out of hand.

        Cheers,
        --
        Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
        http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/