Server configuration

  • UNIREA Sannicolau Mare
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1 12:20 AM
      Hi!
      We need to build a server on our organization. We don't know the answer to
      some questions:
      1. Which is beter? an AMD64 or an dual AMD32?
      2. If AMD64, does FedoraCore4 on 64 bites is capable to use it on it's
      maximum capabilityes?
      3. We have a MENTOR switch with 8 ports; is it capable to handle large
      network transfer? (like 7 computers)

      Thanx!
    • padmanaban
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1 12:35 AM
        --- UNIREA Sannicolau Mare <credsantm1@...> wrote:

        > Hi!
        > We need to build a server on our organization. We don't know the answer to
        > some questions:
        > 1. Which is beter? an AMD64 or an dual AMD32?

        The answer will dependent on you server target use and the kind of application you are planning to
        Run on it. if your appliction needs more processing power you might go for dual or even quad
        processor server.

        > 2. If AMD64, does FedoraCore4 on 64 bites is capable to use it on it's
        > maximum capabilityes?

        Yes its should. you can get support/updates from redhat RHEL or RHAS . Again depends on the
        purpose of the server.

        > 3. We have a MENTOR switch with 8 ports; is it capable to handle large
        > network transfer? (like 7 computers)

        Suggest you to go foe Managed Switch.

        Cheers!!!!

        -Padmanaban

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • UNIREA Sannicolau Mare
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1 3:50 AM
          > The answer will dependent on you server target use and the kind of
          application you are planning to
          > Run on it. if your appliction needs more processing power you might go
          for dual or even quad
          > processor server.
          We need to share resources (directoryes) on two hard-disks with miroring;
          also we need to do all work on these hard-disks (no documents saved on local
          stations).

          Ok, we have two options: AMD64 or dual x86 on 32 bites; which is beter?
        • Godwin Stewart
          • padmanaban
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1 5:05 AM
              > Ok, we have two options: AMD64 or dual x86 on 32 bites; which is beter?

              Again keep in mind of capacity expansion (file sytem/ 32 and 64 bit application support) .
              I would suggest you to go dual Processor and 64-bit processor.

              Cheers!!!
              -Padmanaban

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • UNIREA Sannicolau Mare
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4 10:37 PM
                > - From a performance point of view, both are more than adequate for a file
                > server. In fact a *single* 32-bit x86 platform is probably more than ample
                > for this kind of application.
                >
                > All you need is decent network hardware and as much RAM as you can cram
                > into the box.
                >
                > What kind of throughput and storage space are you thinking of?

                We want all users in the company to work directly on server's storage drive
                (NO WRITE ACCESS ON LOCAL STATIONS, not even in /home... all to be done on
                the server's share). And if I think beter, there are a lot of documents that
                exceeds 30 MB.
                Will a 32-bit x86 single processor with 512 MB RAM handle such operations?
                Also, will a 8 port MENTOR switch handle such a network transfer? (7
                stations simultaneosly to open and work with documents which exceeds 30MB)

                - --
                UNIREA Sannicolau Mare