Re: [redhat] Re: Happiness gone foul with Shrike

    • jabriol
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 10, 2005
        Charles Loy <charles_loy@...> wrote:
        Winmodems are not real modems. Unless you enjoy pain,
        get a cheap real modem at a computer fair for $20 and
        put the problem behind you. If you do enjoy pain,
        there are a few ideas on this website about using
        winmodems with Linux.
        http://www.devidal.tv/~chris/winmodems/

        ---------------------------------------

        Jabriol: Well, I heard that a lot :-) so I hook up a normal modem in fact it is a v.92 blaster from creative. Shrike doesnt see it neither. Now you can understand why Bill Gates is rolling in the dough. I wanted Linux, Red Hat in particular to break away from Bill Gates Empire. But if I have to sit around half a day trying to get a Modem to work, and It doesn't. Then Linux is not worth the effort. Do I need to search the net, to get regular modem driver to work with Shrike?

      • jabriol
          Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:

          On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 03:49:20 -0700 (PDT), jabriol <Jabriol2000@...>
          wrote:

          > Thank you, would a usb external modem do?

          Probably not. Look for a serial port modem. Most USB modems are also
          wnmodems.

          --> Ive hook up a serial port modem, v.90 blaster from creative... don't work when I used the modem wizard on SHrike.

        • "Germán Andrés Pulido F."
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 21, 2005
            jabriol wrote:

            >Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:
            >
            >On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 03:49:20 -0700 (PDT), jabriol <Jabriol2000@...>
            >wrote:
            >

            >>Thank you, would a usb external modem do?
            >>

            >Probably not. Look for a serial port modem. Most USB modems are also
            >wnmodems.
            >

            >--> Ive hook up a serial port modem, v.90 blaster from creative... don't work when I used the modem wizard on SHrike.

            Are you sure you set it up correctly? Because I have two external serial
            modems (Both USRobotics, a Courier V.Everything and a 56k) and both
            worked flawlessly with linux, even with FreeBSD and Solaris, so I'm sure
            your moedm will work if setup correctly. BTW: Is this your modem?
            http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=7&subcategory=40&product=258&nav=systemRequirements
            Also, tell us which part doesn't work for you. Does linux see your
            modem? if so, can you dial-up? does it connect?

            Regards.
          • Michael Schwendt
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 22, 2005
              Note that Red Hat Linux 9 (Shrike) has reached end-of-life 14 months ago,

              http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/eol/

              and is no longer kept up-to-date by Red Hat with regard to security
              vulnerabilities. Only the Fedora Legacy project still publishes
              updated packages for Red Hat Linux 9.

              You're better of giving a newer Linux distribution like Fedora Core 3
              or 4 a try. Fedora Core 1, which had started with the name Red Hat
              Linux 9.0.93 for its first beta release, is the direct successor of
              Red Hat Linux 9. -- http://fedora.redhat.com