Re: NFS wierd problem

  • buniovgeorgia
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      >- if you don't restart nfs, can the client still mount and umount?
      >i.e. do things break only after the nfs restart is done?

      yes: if I don't restart the nfs service all works fine, I can
      mount/unmount read/write and do all stuff

      >- what if you put a pause beteen stop and start

      yes: I tryed
      #service nfs stop
      and after 1/2 hour
      #service nfs start
      it shows me that services start ok (no error messages), but I cannot
      mount nothing (error: server is down)

      if I give
      #rpcinfo -p
      it gives me the list of sercvices: portmaper, status, sgi_fam,
      rquodat, nfs, nlockmgr, mountd

      if I give
      #service nfs status
      rpc.mountd (pid 2169) is running...
      nfsd (pid 2161 2160 2159 2158 2157 2156 2155 2154) is running...
      rpc.rquotad (pid 2145) is running...

      >Now is diagnosis time. NFS uses RPC, and that requires portmap.
      >Is the server running portmap, and is the server running a mountd?

      yes: all ok acording to '#rpcinfo -p' command

      >BTW, what requires you to restart NFS at all?

      Well if I make some configuration changes (such adding mount points to
      /etc/exports or adding changing /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny
      and so).
      But if it should work, then why is not working?

      Thanx for your help!
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
        On 01Aug2005 11:34, buniovgeorgia <credsantm1@...> wrote:
        | >BTW, what requires you to restart NFS at all?
        |
        | Well if I make some configuration changes (such adding mount points to
        | /etc/exports

        All you need to do for this is:

        exportfs -av

        | or adding changing /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny
        | and so).

        This I don't know about, might require restart of mountd. But equally,
        these files may be consults on every mount request, requiring no restart
        at all. Since mounts are rare (on machine timescales) I would be inclined
        to expect this.

        | But if it should work, then why is not working?

        A fair question - it should work, as you say.
        --
        Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
        http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

        Truly, the ultimate demonstration of the computer's utility is that it
        continues to be indispensable in spite of those who run the things.
        - Steve Glass, in e-mail