Adventures of a rookie

  • Mcgrain, Richard
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 1998
      Hi all,
      Yes, this is my first shot at installing any type of a Unix operating
      system. First, let me tell you about who and what I am.

      Currently, I am working for EDS on the Xerox account. We have just gone
      through a massive installation of Windows NT 4.0 workstation on thousands of
      laptops and desktops throughout the network. I have recently had my OLD
      laptop upgraded to a new Compaq Armada 1573 with 64mb of ram and a 3.1gb
      hard drive. Before I knew what I was doing with NT, I partitioned my hard
      drive into a 2gb NTFS C: drive and the balance, 1.1gb, into a second NTFS D:
      drive. Now I want to install Linux.

      I recently purchased the Que book, Using Linux. With it came 3 cd's which
      included Red Hat 5.1, Caldera OpenLinux Lite 1.2, and StarOffice. It looks
      like I will be able to teach myself most of what I want to learn, HOWEVER,
      the hardest part is going to be determining HOW to get the installation
      started. I have already created the boot image, the rescue image, and the
      supp image diskettes, per the instructions. My big question now is HOW do I
      go about getting a Linux image onto my D: drive so I can start playing with
      it? I am a bit nervous, since I have quite a bit of data on my C: drive that
      I need for my day-to-day work.

      ANY and ALL comments are deeply appreciated.

      Richard F. McGrain Jr.
      Systems Administrator
      EDS/XEROX Projects Group
      Phone: 716-231-4579