Helping me to install the modem in Red hat linux 9.0

  • ma_shaikh23
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2005
      hi

      I am Akram a New user of red hate linux 9.0 and I just install the
      Linux in my home computer, I was to use the internet through dialup in
      my machine, question is that how I make the dail up connection and what
      is the method of installing the modem, I have 3com US Robotics 56K
      modem are attached with my machine.

      thanks.
    • Michael Arighi
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2005
        On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 10:40 +0000, Akram wrote:

        > Helping me to install the modem in Red hat linux 9.0
        <snip>
        > question is that how I make the dail up connection and what
        > is the method of installing the modem, I have 3com US Robotics 56K
        > modem are attached with my machine.

        If you have a 3Com US Robotics *external* modem attached to your
        machine, it's easy. Make sure it's turned on and detected by Kudzu when
        you start your machine. If so, it should show up as one of your options
        in the Internet Configuration Wizard (oh, that may not be in RH 9--I use
        Fedora Core 3. Haven't used RH 9 for probably 3 years). Well, it will be
        in System Settings/Network, I'm pretty sure. You can add a New
        connection/by Modem, if it's not showing there, and it should allow you
        to enter the ISP information (phone number, user name passwords, etc).

        If RH9 has the "Modem Lights" applet on the task bar (right click and
        scroll through the possible applets to add), that's a fairly easy way to
        get a one-click connection setup. You need to use the "name" that shows
        in the System Settings/Network page where you set it up above for Modem
        Lights to be able to start it correctly. But then it will connect for
        you, username/password and all, with one click.

        If RH 9 doesn't have all these features, you may want to install Fedora
        Core 3 (or wait a couple weeks for Core 4), if you have access somewhere
        to something faster than a modem line. If not, somebody here can
        probably tell you how to replicate what I've given here from the command
        line (not my strength).

        --
        Michael Arighi

        This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs,
        when he first appears he is a protector.
        Plato -- The Republic