i m using XP o/s and i ve installed vmware software

  • vitalmarks
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 10:58 PM
      i m using XP o/s and i ve installed vmware software over it. through
      vmware software i ve installed Red hat Linux 9.0 in CLI mode. In my
      system i ve installed three network adaptors. from One of three
      adaptor
      i used for internet connection from proxy server which assigns me
      dynamic IP(by DHCP server).
      Now i want to install "squid proxy server on linux" and want to make
      dhcp client on Xp O/s (on same machine as i m using vmware s/w).
      when i m writing this command "ifconfig -a" it showing me only one
      ethernet adaptor even though i ve installed three ethernet adoptors.
      now pls tell me only ethernet card configurations that needs to be
      configure before installing squid in the scenario which i describe
      above.
    • ed
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3 4:06 AM
        On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 06:58:14 -0000
        "vitalmarks" <vitalmarks@...> wrote:

        > i m using XP o/s and i ve installed vmware software over it. through
        > vmware software i ve installed Red hat Linux 9.0 in CLI mode. In my
        > system i ve installed three network adaptors. from One of three
        > adaptor i used for internet connection from proxy server which assigns
        > me dynamic IP(by DHCP server).

        Shouldn't that be the other way around? Installing Windows on Linux?
        Windows can achieve higher uptimes if it running on a Linux VM.

        > Now i want to install "squid proxy server on linux" and want to make
        > dhcp client on Xp O/s (on same machine as i m using vmware s/w).
        > when i m writing this command "ifconfig -a" it showing me only one
        > ethernet adaptor even though i ve installed three ethernet adoptors.

        How many physical ethernet controllers do you have?

        Which networking mode are you running VMware in, bridged or routed?

        > now pls tell me only ethernet card configurations that needs to be
        > configure before installing squid in the scenario which i describe
        > above.

        I do not know which ethernet controllers you have, but basically get the
        RPM, install it using

        # rpm -i <squid.rpm>

        Then find and make changes to the config, you will need to set up an
        access list in the config file and there are many docs on the internet
        for this.

        --
        I must write email to stay alive.
      • Thomas J. Hruska
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4 12:17 AM
          At 12:06 PM 4/3/2005 +0100, ed writeth:

          >On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 06:58:14 -0000
          >"vitalmarks" <vitalmarks@...> wrote:
          >
          >> i m using XP o/s and i ve installed vmware software over it. through
          >> vmware software i ve installed Red hat Linux 9.0 in CLI mode. In my
          >> system i ve installed three network adaptors. from One of three
          >> adaptor i used for internet connection from proxy server which assigns
          >> me dynamic IP(by DHCP server).
          >
          >Shouldn't that be the other way around? Installing Windows on Linux?
          >Windows can achieve higher uptimes if it running on a Linux VM.

          Huh? How do you figure you get higher uptimes under VMWare for Linux? You
          are far more likely to have core crashes under an emulation environment
          than on real hardware. So, running Windows under a Linux VMWare won't give
          Windows any more uptime than it already has and will likely give it less.

          >> Now i want to install "squid proxy server on linux" and want to make
          >> dhcp client on Xp O/s (on same machine as i m using vmware s/w).
          >> when i m writing this command "ifconfig -a" it showing me only one
          >> ethernet adaptor even though i ve installed three ethernet adoptors.

          VMWare, from what I know about it, only allows one ethernet card to be
          viewable from inside the machine. You can have three physical cards, sure,
          but VMWare will only pick up one of them. I recommend on unswitched/open
          LANs, that you avoid anything other than NAT - VMWare has this nasty
          tendency (in the other modes) to create a DHCP _server_ on the LAN...makes
          for an interesting morning (for IT admins) of trying to find the rogue DHCP
          server on the network before everyone gets in.

          Thomas J. Hruska
          shinelight@...

          Shining Light Productions
          Home of the Nuclear Vision scripting language and ProtoNova web server.
          http://www.slproweb.com/
        • ed
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4 10:08 AM
            On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 03:17:54 -0400
            "Thomas J. Hruska" <shinelight@...> wrote:

            > Huh? How do you figure you get higher uptimes under VMWare for Linux?
            > You
            > are far more likely to have core crashes under an emulation
            > environment than on real hardware. So, running Windows under a Linux
            > VMWare won't give Windows any more uptime than it already has and will
            > likely give it less.

            I figure that the OS must use device drivers, if the devices that the VM
            emulates have stable drivers then the OS should be stable.

            --
            I must write email to stay alive.