Re: [redhat] After Untarring

  • "Germán Andrés Pulido F."
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2005
      Linny M wrote:

      >Hi All,
      >
      >... make clean
      >
      >I get this "Child" error? I'm pretty clueless at this point

      Try copy/pasting the whole command output, so we may understand it and
      help you. This is more useful than "this child error".

      >I don't even get to the part where I get to type make 536 or make
      >install.

      Regards.
    • Linny M
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3 4:34 PM

        Hi again,

        Whoops. sorry about not being specific and sending a copy of the
        output, I can't reproduce the error at the moment. Before I go any
        further on my modem configuration misadventures, What exactly is the
        Kernel header?...and more, where do I locate it? Is the kernel
        header a title at the top of the kernel? Does it have a special name
        in my files?

        Thanx

        Linny

        inquiring minds want to know.
        > Try copy/pasting the whole command output, so we may understand it
        and
        > help you. This is more useful than "this child error".
        >

        > Regards.
      • Jeff Lane
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3 8:20 PM
          On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:34:08 -0000, Linny M <wxfix@...> wrote:

          > Whoops. sorry about not being specific and sending a copy of the
          > output, I can't reproduce the error at the moment. Before I go any
          > further on my modem configuration misadventures, What exactly is the
          > Kernel header?...and more, where do I locate it? Is the kernel
          > header a title at the top of the kernel? Does it have a special name
          > in my files?

          whether intentional or not, thanks for the laugh... ;-)

          look on your CDs or the files you installed from for a file that IIRC is called

          kernel-headers-<kernelversion>.<architecture>.rpm

          then install it with rpm like this:

          rpm -Uvh <filename>

          cheers
          jeff

          --
          ------------------> Jeffrey Lane - W4KDH <-------------------
          www.jefflane.org

          The internet has no government, no constitution, no laws, no
          rights, no police, no courts. Don't talk about fairness or
          innocence, and don't talk about what should be done. Instead,
          talk about what is being done and what will be done by the
          amorphous unreachable undefinable blob called "the internet
          user base." -Paul Vixie
        • ed
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4 10:46 AM
            On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 23:20:14 -0500
            Jeff Lane <sundowner225@...> wrote:

            > The internet has no government, no constitution, no laws, no
            > rights, no police, no courts. Don't talk about fairness or
            > innocence, and don't talk about what should be done. Instead,
            > talk about what is being done and what will be done by the
            > amorphous unreachable undefinable blob called "the internet
            > user base." -Paul Vixie

            Not so. There is the IETF, ICANN, IANA etc. They are all regulatory
            bodies for the Internet.

            --
            You never see a farmer driving around a muddy field in a mini saying
            "its for when i go to the city"
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4 11:37 AM
              On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 18:46:18 +0000, ed <ed@...> wrote:

              > Not so. There is the IETF, ICANN, IANA etc. They are all regulatory
              > bodies for the Internet.

              heh... IETF, yes. IANA, yea... ICANN?? they are a regulatory body
              for corporations... but thats a political discussion that really isnt
              germane to the topic of this list ;-)

              Besides, gimme a break... its a Paul Vixie quote... he wasnt making
              any points about regulatory groups on the technical side of things...
              thats a requirement, else the internet simply stops working. It was a
              discussion on political groups trying to control the internet by means
              of censorship and such, vis a vis controlling people by limiting what
              they can say and see and read and learn and do on the internet...

              but thats a touchy subject for a lot of people... and I cant believe
              I just used vis a vis in a sentence...

              Cheers
              Jeff

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4 1:16 PM
                On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:37:32 -0500
                Jeff Lane <sundowner225@...> wrote:

                > heh... IETF, yes. IANA, yea... ICANN?? they are a regulatory body
                > for corporations... but thats a political discussion that really isnt
                > germane to the topic of this list ;-)

                ICANN, the Internet Corporation For Assigned Names and Numbers...

                > Besides, gimme a break... its a Paul Vixie quote... he wasnt making
                > any points about regulatory groups on the technical side of things...
                > thats a requirement, else the internet simply stops working. It was a
                > discussion on political groups trying to control the internet by means
                > of censorship and such, vis a vis controlling people by limiting what
                > they can say and see and read and learn and do on the internet...

                I think Vixie making a comment directly about /Palladium/ would have
                made the point in a far less words, the Internet is governed by
                regulatory non-profit bodies.

                > but thats a touchy subject for a lot of people... and I cant believe
                > I just used vis a vis in a sentence...

                Vis-a-vis has become overly used of late, much like modus vivendi and
                modus operandi.

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 4 7:08 PM
                  On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 21:16:19 +0000, ed <ed@...> wrote:
                  > I think Vixie making a comment directly about /Palladium/ would have
                  > made the point in a far less words, the Internet is governed by
                  > regulatory non-profit bodies.

                  Good point...

                  > Vis-a-vis has become overly used of late, much like modus vivendi and
                  > modus operandi.

                  I can honestly say that that is the first time I have ever used that
                  phrase other than when referring to a particular brand of whiteboard
                  marker...