FC3-Test3 install conundrum

  • Michael Arighi
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2004
      Hi,

      I'm having a problem. Not sure if it's a bug in this Beta or not.

      I installed a vanilla install of FC3 over FC2, which I found less stable
      than FC1. Once I got most things working, I went to fill out missing
      packages and some upgrades. Oops! Big problem.

      Synaptic pkg mgr, which I'd used happily in FC1 and FC2 now refuses to
      run, complaining about a missing libstdc++, ver 5 (FC3 has ver 6 and
      they are apparently not compatible). OK, so I fall back to RH Package
      Mgr. I go through and choose the items I want added. It confirms, then
      tells me to insert Disk x. So far, so good. However, it can't find Disk
      x, even though it is in /cdrom, whether the CD-ROM is mounted or not,
      and no matter which CD-ROM drive I put it in (I have a DVD-RW and a CD-
      RW).

      I've checked this out in the FC3 chat and there are repeated comments
      about it, but most people seem to think it's not really a bug. One says
      to just wait about 10 seconds after inserting the CD, or keep clicking.
      No go, either way.

      Media are OK--I did the original install on a DVD cut from the DVD iso,
      which the installer verified was good. Thinking maybe somebody forgot to
      change the install routine to consider the possibility of a DVD, when I
      ran into this problem, I downloaded the individual CD images and burned
      them, too. Still no dice.

      Bug? To my mind it is. However, at the moment, I'm more concerned if
      anyone has found workarounds??
      --
      Michael Arighi <calzinman@...>
    • Michael Arighi
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2004
        On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 04:16 +0000, redhat@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > FC3-Test3 install conundrum

        Just for closure, here's how it got resolved.

        I resolved the error by rolling back the libstdc++ by one version, at
        which point a great number of other apps that I'd noted weren't working,
        but didn't really need, started working. Along with Synaptic, which is
        what I'd wanted to begin with.

        I then installed the new version of the udev package (ver. 10) and could
        finally access my CD drive when I went to update packages off the CD.

        Final release of FC 3 seems to have included (most of?) these fixes,
        although apt still complains about the libstdc++ version (updated by
        FC3).
        --
        Michael Arighi <calzinman@...>
      • Michael Schwendt
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 11, 2004
          On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:55:15 -0800, Michael Arighi
          <calzinman@...> wrote:

          > Final release of FC 3 seems to have included (most of?) these fixes,
          > although apt still complains about the libstdc++ version (updated by
          > FC3).

          No, it doesn't, provided that you install the proper package:

          $ rpm --redhatprovides libstdc++.so.5
          compat-libstdc++-8-3.3.4.2

          --
        • Ed
          • Michael Arighi
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 13, 2004
              On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 18:15 +0000, redhat@yahoogroups.com wrote:
              > > Final release of FC 3 seems to have included (most of?) these fixes,
              > > although apt still complains about the libstdc++ version (updated by
              > > FC3).
              >
              > Does RH/FC now have apt?

              No. Not yet, anyway. Or, at least, not by default, although apt/synaptic
              are a hot topic on the Fedora Test mailing list, to which I also
              subscribe, with some strong feeling that apt for rpm should be standard.
              Main argument against it seems to be that it only handles .rpms for i386
              architecture, as it stands, which leaves other architectures out,
              including x86-64. Yum--which is no more "native" to RH/FC, since it
              comes from Yellow Dog Linux--is preferred as it is architecture-
              agnostic.

              However, FreshRPMs (www.freshrpms.net) has gotten quickly up to speed
              with FC3-optimized versions of apt and synaptic. In fact, they have a
              whole section of programs that have been (what? Recompiled?) for FC3.

              Since I happen to agree with the camp that would like apt/synaptic to be
              a default (since I happen to be on i686, rather than x86-64), I quickly
              enabled those.

              --
              Michael Arighi <calzinman@...>
            • Michael Schwendt
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 15, 2004
                On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:43:02 +0000, Ed <ed@...> wrote:

                > Does RH/FC now have apt?

                It has been available for quite a long time in form of Apt-Rpm --
                https://moin.conectiva.com.br/AptRpm -- which is Conectiva's port of
                APT for RPM. Sites like http://fedora.us or http://freshrpms.net have
                provided add-on packages for Red Hat Linux and Fedora Core and
                corresponding repositories for Apt-Rpm.