Help needed with RPMs and SNMP

  • w8tah
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2004
      Good Morning:

      I am fighting with a bit of a problem here. I am trying to install
      the ucd-snmp-utils so that I can get the snmpwalk command running to
      be able to do smnp monitoring of my switches etc. as the rpm is
      installing it keeps asking for other libraries :

      Ucd-snmp
      Libcrypto.so.3
      Librpm-4.04.so
      Librpmdb-4.04.so
      Librpmio-4.04.so
      Libsnmp-0.4.2.5.so

      When I try to search for these RPMS, I cant find them, Ive tried pbone
      and rpmfind.net.

      I am beginning to get the picture that I'm missing something or doing
      something wrong here, but I don't know linux enough to be able to
      track it down.

      I have RHN setup and I have tried up2date to update the system too,
      and it does'nt find anything. It returns some sort of an error saying
      "invalid group id server-cfg.

      If somebody could help me it would be greatly appreciated, I need to
      get this system running

      TIM

      You can contact me by the list or at Yahoo IM W8TAH

      Thanks

      Timothy A. Holme
      Network Administrator / IT manager
      Medina Christian Academy
      A Higher Standard...
    • Michael Schwendt
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 16, 2004
        On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:07:23 -0000, w8tah <tholmes@...> wrote:

        > I am fighting with a bit of a problem here. I am trying to install
        > the ucd-snmp-utils so that I can get the snmpwalk command running to
        > be able to do smnp monitoring of my switches etc. as the rpm is
        > installing it keeps asking for other libraries :
        >
        > Ucd-snmp

        Where did you find that package? Be sure to get a package which is
        made for your particular version of Red Hat Linux. Else you would run
        into endless troubles with package dependencies.

        > Libcrypto.so.3

        libcrypto.so.3 does not exist on Red Hat Linux 9 or Red Hat Linux 8.0.
        Only libcrypto.so.1, 2 and 4 are included in RHL9 and 0,1,2 in RHL8.0.

        > Librpm-4.04.so
        > Librpmdb-4.04.so
        > Librpmio-4.04.so

        Same here. These belong to RPM 4.0.x, whereas Red Hat Linux 8.0 comes
        with RPM 4.1 already.

        > When I try to search for these RPMS, I cant find them, Ive tried pbone
        > and rpmfind.net.

        While sites like that -- or rpmseek.com -- can be helpful at times,
        usually they are the wrong approach to problems with RPM packages. You
        should be able to find everything on your installation CDs, Red Hat
        Network or your favourite FTP/HTTP mirror of Red Hat Linux. It's very
        useful to install the rpmdb-redhat package and query it with "rpm
        --redhatprovides ...". When the package is installed, rpm also
        suggests which packages are missing. Together with option --aid, rpm
        would add missing packages automatically and install them from the
        current directory.

        > I have RHN setup and I have tried up2date to update the system too,
        > and it does'nt find anything. It returns some sort of an error saying
        > "invalid group id server-cfg.

        I recall I've seen this error before somewhere, but from the top of my
        head I can't suggest any solution. Deleting your machine's profile at
        RHN and /etc/sysconfig/rhn and re-registering should fix it as a last
        resort. Switching from up2date to Yum would be another solution. Such
        extra packages for Red Hat Linux can be downloaded here:
        http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO