RH6 install

  • Mex
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 1999
      Hi all

      I'm having big problems with Red Hat 6, when I try and install it
      everything works fine until it starts copying the packages across (the bit
      with the two progress bars) then it hangs, I didn't have anything worth
      keeping I reformatted and started again, as I thought it would be better to
      stick to just one version. I thought it might be just the new install so I
      re-installed 5.2 and tried to upgrade but the same thing happened, 5.2
      installed without a hitch.

      The only thing I can think of is the CD is knackered, but it seems fine
      under Windoze and on my Amiga.

      Any ideas?

      TTFN

      Mex
    • Patrick Horneker
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 1999
        Mex,

        I had success installing Linux Mandrake 6.0 over Red Hat 5.2.

        What I would do is to insert the Installation diskette, restart your PC, press Return when the initial screen comes up and the "boot:" prompt is displayed.

        Then watch the messages as they come up. These messages should tell you what the Linux kernel has detected in terms of hardware, and how Linux is setting itself up to run on your PC.

        One possible problem could well be your CD-ROM drive.

        First, is your CD-ROM attached to an IDE/EIDE controller, a SCSI controller, or does that CD have a proprietary interface?

        Second, how old is your CD-ROM drive? It is possible that older CD-ROM drives, particularly those with a proprietary interface could well be supported by Red Hat 5.2, but eliminated in Red Hat 6.0, since Red Hat 6.0 is marketed towards owners of PCs that were purchased since 1996, though Linux will run on older machines.

        > I'm having big problems with Red Hat 6, when I try and install it
        > everything works fine until it starts copying the packages across (the bit
        > with the two progress bars) then it hangs, I didn't have anything worth
        > keeping I reformatted and started again, as I thought it would be better to
        > stick to just one version. I thought it might be just the new install so I
        > re-installed 5.2 and tried to upgrade but the same thing happened, 5.2
        > installed without a hitch.
        >
        > The only thing I can think of is the CD is knackered, but it seems fine
        > under Windoze and on my Amiga.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > TTFN
        >
        > Mex

        Hope this helps.

        Patrick G Horneker
        http://pghlinux.homepage.com
        http://members.tripod.com/~presario

        To get your own FREE ZDNet onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
        all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com
      • Mex
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 1999
          Hi

          >I had success installing Linux Mandrake 6.0 over Red Hat 5.2.

          Stop showing off :^>

          >What I would do is to insert the Installation
          >diskette, restart your PC, press Return when
          >the initial screen comes up and the "boot:"
          >prompt is displayed.
          >
          >Then watch the messages as they come up.
          >These messages should tell you what the Linux
          >kernel has detected in terms of hardware, and
          >how Linux is setting itself up to run on your PC.

          As I said everything appears to work perfectly untill the end when every
          thing just stops dead.

          >One possible problem could well be your CD-ROM drive.
          >
          >First, is your CD-ROM attached to an IDE/EIDE
          >controller, a SCSI controller, or does that CD
          >have a proprietary interface?

          Standard x16 EIDE/ATAPI pluged straight into the motherboard.

          >Second, how old is your CD-ROM drive?

          About 2 - 2 1/2 years old.

          TTFN

          Mex
        • Admin
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 1999
            Can anyone help me with this:

            I have a RedHat 6.0 (Hedwig) installed on one computer, and I am trying
            to login from a Win98 station using SecureCRT.
            I connect to the server, but I always receive the message "All network
            ports in use." and the connection is closed immediately.
            I guess there is a setting in some /etc file to fix that,
            but I couldn't find it.

            Thanks in advance.
            AdiM
            Exista lista de discutii RO-LINUX: http://egroups.com/lists/ro-linux
            E-zine Infonet News la Buzau: http://pc.buzaunet.ro/menu/news.html
            Putem invata mult unii de la altii: acesta e Marele Secret al Retelei.
            System Administration of the Computer Center at "B.P.Hasdeu" High School
            Buzau, Romania