Re: POP server

  • Gaffoor A.
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2004
      [ Top posting fixed. Subject cleaned up. Long line folded.
      Relevance remark: sendmail is delivery and dispatch (SMTP side), not
      collection (POP/IMAP side).
      I suggest the original poster check out freshmeat.net.
      - Moderator
      ]

      jcialdea <Jcialdea@...> wrote:
      | looking for the best POP server. one that is easy to set up and
      | maintain, and provides dependable service to remote connections with a
      | large amount of features and options, preferably open source or
      | freeware. thoughts?

      A free, Open source software named SendMail comes with Red Hat Linux. This
      is one of the most widely used software for POP and SMTP servers.

      http://www.sendmail.org/

      check the site
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2004
        On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 08:23:20 +0100 (BST), "Gaffoor A."
        <thegaffoor@...> wrote:

        > jcialdea <Jcialdea@...> wrote:
        > | looking for the best POP server. one that is easy to set up and
        > | maintain, and provides dependable service to remote connections with a
        > | large amount of features and options, preferably open source or
        > | freeware. thoughts?
        >
        > A free, Open source software named SendMail comes with Red Hat Linux. This
        > is one of the most widely used software for POP and SMTP servers.

        As Cameron pointed out, sendmail is *NOT* a POP server, it's an SMTP server
        which has nothing to do whatsoever with a remote host *PICKING UP* mail.

        The POP3 server I use here is QPopper: http://www.qpopper.org

        --
        G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
        Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.8.1-em8300)