Permissions on a Fat32 partition

  • buniovgeorgia
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2004
      Hi!
      I have mounted a Fat32 partition in a directory
      > mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/c

      The problem is that I have write permissions on that partition only as
      root, when I switch to a linux user, I cannot write on that partition.
      >cd /mnt/c
      >touch test
      touch: cannot touch `test': Permission denied

      Can anyone please tell me what have I did wrong or what I must do to
      be able to write on that partition as a normal user?
      Tx
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2004
        On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 05:24:50 -0000, "buniovgeorgia" <georgia@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone please tell me what have I did wrong or what I must do to
        > be able to write on that partition as a normal user?

        "man mount" is your friend.

        Quoting the section dealing with fat-specific options:

        uid=value and gid=value
        Set the owner and group of all files. (Default: the uid and
        gid of the current process.)

        umask=value
        Set the umask (the bitmask of the permissions that are not
        present). The default is the umask of the current process.
        The value is given in octal.

        --
        G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
        Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.8.1-em8300)
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2004
          Do a chmod u+w on /mnt/c directory

          regards,
          somnath.

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2004
            On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:30:19 -0700 (PDT), Somnath Pal <somnathpals@...>
            wrote:

            > Do a chmod u+w on /mnt/c directory

            Please don't top-post.

            chmod'ing the directory won't change the ownership of the data (including
            directories) on the partition, and you can't change *their* ownership on a
            filesystem that doesn't support the concept of ownership.

            --
            G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
            Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.8.1-em8300)
            Hurewitz's Memory Principle:
            The chance of forgetting something is directly proportional
            to ..... to ........ uh ..............
          • georgia@sigy.de

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 3, 2004
                On 2 Sep 2004 at 13:56, georgia@... wrote:
                > Please don't top-post.
                >
                > chmod'ing the directory won't change the ownership of the data
                > (including
                > directories) on the partition, and you can't change *their* ownership
                > on a
                > filesystem that doesn't support the concept of ownership.
                >
                > --
                > G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
                > Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.8.1-em8300)
                > Hurewitz's Memory Principle:
                > The chance of forgetting something is directly proportional

                Ok! Sory for top-posting!