Re: [redhat] Telnet Connection Issue

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2004
      On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 08:49:55AM +0000, imran_kha wrote:
      > hi friends
      >
      > I have start using linux recently.
      >
      > Problem:
      > During installation i have installed telnet service but it is not
      > working. When i try to connect it is giving error
      > message "Connecting To 192.168.45.44...Could not open a connection
      > to host on port 23 : Connect failed".
      > help me for solving this issue

      It could be a few things. You can look at the list faq at
      http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html to check if it's a
      firewall issue.

      Also in xinetd telnet is disabled by default. In almost all cases, the
      better option, rather than fixing this, is to allow ssh rather than
      telnet. I have a page, fairly RH specific, though a bit dated on ssh at

      http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/ssh.html

      The reason I steer you this way rather than giving a more specific
      answer to your question is that telnet is quite insecure, transmitting
      everything in clear text and one doesn't lose anything using ssh.
      Addtionally, if it has to serve Windows clients, there are many ssh
      clients for Windows available.

      Buffy: I can't believe you got into Oxford!
      Willow: It's pretty exciting.
      Oz: That's some deep academia there.
      Buffy: That's where they make Gileses!
      Willow: I know! I can learn, and have scones!