Re: [redhat] question, re 6.2 install error no valid device found

  • Lydiard
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2004
      Quoting name here <smada86@...>:

      > Greetings
      >
      > I have an old dell PIII that I am tryinmg to load redhat on. I recently got
      > an official redhat installation guide including all disks for version 6.2. I
      > realize this is probably an older version but I'm ok with that and since I
      > have the media and the manual it seems to make sense.

      Well, if you can source a later version of RH, the manual will still be valid
      for the most part, so we (tinw) recommend getting a new version. Version 9 or
      Fedora Core will make your life easier.

      > The pc has a 27GB disk on it. It curently has windows 98 on it and about
      > 24GB of free space.
      >
      > When I go thru the linux install it cruises right along until I get the
      > error message
      >
      > "no valid devices were found on which to create new file system. Please
      > check your hardware for the cause of the problem"
      >
      > My understanding was that the redhat install would overwrite and make
      > whatever partitians it needed on the disk.
      > Do I need to do some sort of formatting before I start the install?
      >
      > I know the disk works because I can boot up windows 98

      You might need to describe what you're doing in more detail. If I remember
      correctly, RH6 might need you to partition the disk first. Certainly, if you
      had a later version (I really recomend 9), then the auto disk partitioning
      feature will be stronger.

      Bottom line is, get 9 and it's a breeze to install. Otherwise, describe what
      you're doing and selecting at every step, since it's been a long time since I
      did a 6.2 install - over 5 years!

      Lyd
    • Nagendra Pratap Singh
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
        > > I have an old dell PIII that I am tryinmg to load redhat on. I recently
        got
        > > an official redhat installation guide including all disks for version
        6.2. I
        > > realize this is probably an older version but I'm ok with that and since
        > > have the media and the manual it seems to make sense.
        PIII is not old
        you can run RH9 on it

        Nagendra Pratap Singh
      • Allen Tate
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
          > When I go thru the linux install it cruises right along until I get
          > the error message
          >
          > "no valid devices were found on which to create new file system.
          > Please check your hardware for the cause of the problem"

          The system is likely not seeing your hard drives. I tried an install
          for someone that had a motherboard that couldn't see the hard drives.
          Killed that project pretty damn fast. :)