Red Hat Set Up

  • Mex
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 1999
      Hi all

      I have been trying to install redhat onto a partition on my nice shiny new
      hard drive, I have put 2.5 Gig aside for this. I was trying to set up 50MB
      for swap and the rest for linux. But if I try to set the linux partition
      anywhere above about 300MB I am told there is not enough room. I am using
      disk druid with RedHat 6 (the same happened when I tried 5.1 and 5.2)

      It is probably just me doing something a bit thick. Can anyone help, also
      do the above numbers sound about right? But please bear in mind I am very
      new to all this linux stuff.

      TTFN

      Mex
    • georg.naumann@xx.xxxxx.xx
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 1999
        Hi Mex

        RH5.1 Instruction manual specifies ata minimum the following :

        Root partion " /" 50 to 100 Mb ( 100 Mb Recomended)
        Swap partion From memory size up to 127 Mb. 2,5 * Memory is recomended. You can have several 127Mb swap partions.

        "/usr" partion. 300 to 700 Mb depending on the number of packages.
        "/home" partion User area. Depends on number of users.

        In addition you can have some more partions for printerques etc.

        These are :
        /usr/local for things you want to keep separate from the rest of the linux system.
        /usr/src ( 30 mb per kernel version you are storing)
        /tmp Large, multiuser systems.
        /var logs in /var/log, printer queue in /var/spool etc....

        These are not necesary.

        Remember to let lilo install to MBR at the end of the installation or you have to boot from the boot disket.

        Any help ?

        I have had problems when going beyond 1Gb on any of the partions. Some expert can probably tell us why.

        Georg