  • sachin mali
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2004
      How can we Configure the following users : nancy, randy, donna,mike. Make nancy and randy part of a group named angels. create
      a /home/angels directory and allow them to share files without having
      to change permissions or ownership on any file they put in this
      directory. Do not give donna or mike read privileges on this
      directory.

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2004
        On 28 Feb 2004 12:36:37 -0000, "sachin mali" <linuxforme2003@...>
        wrote:

        > How can we Configure the following users : nancy, randy, donna,mike. Make
        > nancy and randy part of a group named angels. create a /home/angels
        > directory and allow them to share files without having to change
        > permissions or ownership on any file they put in this directory. Do not
        > give donna or mike read privileges on this directory.

        First of all, please use a subject which describes your question.

        Anyway, start by creating the "angels" group:

        # groupadd angels

        Now create the home directory:

        # mkdir /home/angels

        Change group ownership of the directory to the "angels" group and remove all
        privileges from users other than the owner and the group, who have full
        rights:

        # chmod 770 /home/angels

        Finally, configure the users nancy and randy as members of the "angels"
        group and make their home directory /home/angels:

        # usermod -d /home/angels -g angels nancy
        # usermod -d /home/angels -g angels randy

        As long as users donna and mike are *not* members of the "angels" group,
        they will have no access whatsoever to /home/angels.

        --
        G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
        Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.4.25)