Doi!!!

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2004
      Ok so i found the the newbie files and only read enough to see that
      almost all my questions were answered. Details,details,details. my
      computer is ok not great to use but ok. In the linux mag it says for
      installation I would only have to install RH (it's RH 9 by the way)
      turn off my computer and turn on. When I do this I get message:

      ISOLINUX 2.00 2002-10-25 isolinux: loading spec packet failed, trying
      to wing it (I know the feelin'!)

      isolinux:failed to lacate cd-rom device; boot failed.

      When I put in other programs the computer recognizes the cd-rom and
      even if I put in RH9 I can open the my computer icon and see the
      different RH files. What am I doing wrong? Oh my God! I have 4 other
      ditros of linux and unix o/s's what have I gotten myself into! Oh
      well. Live and learn.
    • Lydiard
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004

        Since no one seems to have answered this, I'll have a go. You need to
        make sure the PC can boot from the CD-ROM. This isn't always the case
        with old PCs - and yours isn't the newest on the block - but still great
        for installing a distro to play with..

        You have two options: (One always has two options, but there we go)...

        1) Check to see if the BIOS can boot the computer from the CD-ROM. To
        do this, enter the BIOS program (usually with either F2, DEL or ESC soon
        after the initial memory check). If it can, you might need to change
        the boot option from being FD-->HD-->CD to something more sensible like
        CD-->HD-->FD

        2) Assuming you can't boot from the CD-ROM, do a google for how to make
        a floppy (stiffy - depending on where in the world you speak english)
        bootdisk. The program to do this is on the CD, and should be readable
        from any win-flavour OS.

        Report back here with detailed success/failure reports and error
        messages and we'll see what we can do :)

        Lyd
      • Germán Andrés Pulido F.
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004

          This is not the problem, since the PC displays this message:

          isolinux:failed to lacate cd-rom device; boot failed.

          This means that the computer IS trying to boot from the CD. Anyway,
          installing any new RedHat on a 32MB computer is impossible. I tried to do
          that, and always complained about not enough memory. I had to install
          Mandrake 7.0...or if you want redhat try redHat 6.2 (zoot). For more info,
          read this:

          http://www.computing.net/linux/wwwboard/forum/23891.html

          Regards.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
            On 17:44 02 Feb 2004, Germ?n Andr?s Pulido F. <g-pulido@...> wrote:
            | [...] Anyway,
            | installing any new RedHat on a 32MB computer is impossible. I tried to do
            | that, and always complained about not enough memory. I had to install
            | Mandrake 7.0...or if you want redhat try redHat 6.2 (zoot).

            Even with a text mode install (not that I've tried on a 32MB machine, but I'm
            a little surprised).

            Cheers,
            --
            Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
            http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

            Sure, Len, just because something is old doesn't mean it's engraved in
            stone. We know a lot more about entertainment now than they did back
            then. Look at Lawrence Olivier! You think he was in any of
            Shakespeare's original productions? No! They added him years later!