Re: Welcome to redhat@onelist.com

  • Y.Y. Lian
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 1998
      Hi,
      I used to be windows diehard fan, I am running win98 right now and I think
      it's time to make a change. We all knew that how power hungry windows is in
      term of memory, processor speed, disc space so on and on. The worst thing is
      these software is trying to control my PC, so now in my hand I got a CD
      entitle Linux redhat, before I start key in the word "format C":, I need to
      clarify a few thing with you guys and please give me some advises.
      1) What will happened to my doc. files??? e-mail address book, ??? Can all
      these files be transferable to my new operating system?
      2) If we were so used to win word, office 97 environment, what are the word
      prosessor program we can used in Linux Redhat? Recently Corel offered free
      version of Corel Word for Linux, is it out yet?
      3) I knowtice Linux got all these kernel things, what does it mean? And I
      also heard something about X windows, what is it anyway?
      4) In windows I used TCP/IP to access the internet, what are the thing I
      must do in Linux in order to get online. Will it be faster?
      5) No 5 is the answer for that guy who post a question about why he can't
      access his linux and his PC keep sending him to Windows when he start up.
      You must understand the Linux and Windows are both operating system, you
      cannot run these two together, however, if your hardisk is big enough, you
      can partition your hardisk into two partition labered C and D, each with
      different Operating System, in that case, you have to make sure which drive
      to boot during your start up. These can be done in your boot system file.
      Regards,
      Lian
    • Administratia Laboratorului
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 1998
        Hi Lian,

        I'm trying to help a little.
        First, before starting to ask questions and before installing RedHat
        Linux, read the documentation on your RedHat CD. You may see it from
        Windows Explorer, as with any normal CD-ROM.

        On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Y.Y. Lian wrote:

        > 1) What will happened to my doc. files??? e-mail address book, ??? Can all
        > these files be transferable to my new operating system?

        You may transfer then into the Linux file system, but you may not be able
        to use them in the same way you did in Windows. You'd better try to
        install Linux in a partition, while keeping Windows in another partition.
        You can learn more about Linux, without giving up Windows yet, and you
        should find out how to make the complete transfer to Linux, as you wish.

        > 2) If we were so used to win word, office 97 environment, what are the word
        > prosessor program we can used in Linux Redhat? Recently Corel offered free
        > version of Corel Word for Linux, is it out yet?

        There are some editors in Linux, but I don't know (yet) about a Word-type
        text processor. Anyway, it should be running in X Windows, if any.

        > 3) I knowtice Linux got all these kernel things, what does it mean? And I
        > also heard something about X windows, what is it anyway?

        The kernel is the core of Linux. It's a very technical stuff. You should
        learn more about it after learning to install and use Linux.
        X Windows is the Linux Graphical Interface, similar to what means Windows
        for MS-DOS, in many ways. The design is also fairly similar.

        > 4) In windows I used TCP/IP to access the internet, what are the thing I
        > must do in Linux in order to get online. Will it be faster?

        Probably, since Linux makes direct control of your hardware.

        Hope it helped.

        AdiM
      • Robert Boggs
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 1999
          Does anyone know of drivers for the banshee cards by voodo? The card has
          3dfx on board. I sure don't get colors or anything now. I can only use 16
          big. HELP!