wine

  • Lim Che Kian
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2 3:16 AM
      anybody ever use wine?
      i succeed installing and configuring wine already on redhat 9...
      i run my first game program.. it works...
      but the second time.. it just don't run... it is in the process.. i knew
      it with ps -ef | grep game_name ...
      anybody know the solution for this... is there anymore configuration
      needed?
      Thanks

      --
      With metta,

      AK1AN

      *************************************
      * Release me from all suffering... *
      * Enlighten me... *
      *************************************
    • Paul Grenyer
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2 3:37 AM
        On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 11:16, Lim Che Kian wrote:
        Hi

        > anybody ever use wine?
        > i succeed installing and configuring wine already on redhat 9...
        > i run my first game program.. it works...
        > but the second time.. it just don't run... it is in the process.. i knew
        > it with ps -ef | grep game_name ...
        > anybody know the solution for this... is there anymore configuration
        > needed?

        Have a look on the WINE webpage, there are lists there that you will
        probably get a better response from and they my even have something in
        the archives.

        --

        Regards
        Paul

        Paul Grenyer
        Email: paul@...
        Web: http://www.paulgrenyer.co.uk

        Please note my change of email address.
      • Mohamed Aly
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 6, 2004
          is it possible for linux running wine service to be infected with ms viruses
          like eg netsky"mail virus" , imean when executing exe the wine service make
          the virtual windows system to be infected ?

          thanx
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 7, 2004
            On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 20:24:13 +0200, Mohamed Aly <unixed@...> wrote:

            > is it possible for linux running wine service to be infected with ms
            > viruses like eg netsky"mail virus" , imean when executing exe the wine
            > service make the virtual windows system to be infected ?

            Yes.

            However, whether it'll be able to do any damage to other people than
            yourself is doubtful.

            First of all, most of these viruses (worms in fact) have the system start
            them at boot time by creating the appropriate settings in the registry. WINE
            has a registry, but since it isn't a fully-fledged system and doesn't bring
            the computer up, none of the startup instructions will ever get processed
            and the worm won't start itself up.

            The same applies to worms which employ shell redirection - modifying what
            the shell does to .exe files so that the worm gets executed, then what the
            user asked for - since there is no shell in WINE.

            Finally, only if the worm is running *and* has its own built-in SMTP engine
            will it be able to send itself out to others via e-mail. Others which rely
            on Outlook's OLE Automation and/or Outlook Express' MAPI interface will not
            work because these interfaces don't exist within WINE.

            --
            G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
            Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.4.25)
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 7, 2004
              Godwin Stewart wrote:

              > On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 20:24:13 +0200, Mohamed Aly <unixed@...> wrote:
              >

              >>is it possible for linux running wine service to be infected with ms
              >>viruses like eg netsky"mail virus" , imean when executing exe the wine
              >>service make the virtual windows system to be infected ?
              >

              > Yes.
              >
              > However, whether it'll be able to do any damage to other people than
              > yourself is doubtful.
              >
              > First of all, most of these viruses (worms in fact) have the system start
              > them at boot time by creating the appropriate settings in the registry. WINE
              > has a registry, but since it isn't a fully-fledged system and doesn't bring
              > the computer up, none of the startup instructions will ever get processed
              > and the worm won't start itself up.
              >
              > The same applies to worms which employ shell redirection - modifying what
              > the shell does to .exe files so that the worm gets executed, then what the
              > user asked for - since there is no shell in WINE.
              >
              > Finally, only if the worm is running *and* has its own built-in SMTP engine
              > will it be able to send itself out to others via e-mail. Others which rely
              > on Outlook's OLE Automation and/or Outlook Express' MAPI interface will not
              > work because these interfaces don't exist within WINE.

              I just wanted to add to this. Wine needs to handle the Win32 API as is,
              that means bugs and all. So it may be possible for Wine to allow a
              Win32 worm/virus to get to your files. However, there is one HUGE
              difference. Under MS Windows, just about _every_ home user is running
              with Administrator rights. Under Linux this is not the case (unless you
              are using Lindows). So the virus/worm will never have the same system
              wide impact that it can have under MS Windows.

              Jim Drabb
              $ echo "deltree /y c:\windows\" > /mnt/windows/autoexec.bat
              James Drabb JR
              Senior Programmer Analyst
              JDrabb at tampabay dot rr dot com
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 8, 2004
                On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 21:35:17 -0400, James Drabb <jdrabb@...>
                wrote:

                > I just wanted to add to this. Wine needs to handle the Win32 API as is,
                > that means bugs and all. So it may be possible for Wine to allow a
                > Win32 worm/virus to get to your files. However, there is one HUGE
                > difference. Under MS Windows, just about _every_ home user is running
                > with Administrator rights. Under Linux this is not the case (unless you
                > are using Lindows). So the virus/worm will never have the same system
                > wide impact that it can have under MS Windows.

                I wouldn't be so sure of that.

                True, an application running in WINE can't even see the Linux filesystem
                outside the Windows "virtual disk" directory. However, does that Win32
                application not have full privileges *within* that virtual disk? It can't do
                anything to the Linux host system, but I'm pretty sure it can wreak havoc
                inside the WINE sandbox.

                --
                G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
                Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.4.25)
                A grammarian's life is always intense.